Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crab Nickelson Ban Req
i agree this should be seen as exploiting. wouldnt necessarily say it should fall under "dont attempt to crash server" but it can make players drop frames and puts extra load on the server that can cause lag. with just the 30~ seconds you have before rounds start and the 1-2 minutes when the map starts, i dont think it would be possible to crash the server like this, but it can definitely cause problems players.
it would require quite a few more barrels to crash the server.
worst it could do is crash jesse's gmod
i made a thing
i made another thing
i made a new thing

former ttt mod
former dr admin
Staff 2017-2023
argument against crab:
- possible server crash if he somehow manages to make enough barrels
argument for crab:
- the barrel thing is funny as shit
- as far as I know the server has never crashed from the barrel thing

barrel thing should probably be toned down a bit because it does interrupt all other players a bit, but I don't honestly think it's that big of a deal unless its literally every round or something dumb

also id like to point out that your computer specs aren't related to how much the barrels lag, the only factor for server lag is how much CPU time per server tick it takes per barrel for the server to simulate an exploding barrel tsunami soaring towards an innocent bystanders skull at 200mph
(10-27-2021, 08:43 PM)derp spooky Wrote: it would require quite a few more barrels to crash the server.
worst it could do is crash jesse's gmod
I hate how true this is lmao. Eitherway yeah I agree this is most likely warnable so I will agree with others on that.
As far as I know, spamming the barrel machine itself wouldn't break the server, blocking off the tunnel and letting it build up is what could cause shit to go down.
May be wrong but if anything, blocking off the tunnel for them to build up should be changed.
My reasoning?
This: https://www.dinklebergsgmod.com/site/sho...?tid=14798
[Image: h4r1WLO.gif]
Project Moon Games
Retired TTT Moderator
03-07-2020 ~ 11-17-2020
Unofficial Retired Murder Test-Moderator
11-06-2019 ~ 11-17-2020
The relevant rule reads:
"Do not intentionally attempt to crash the server."
I note that there is nothing within the staff guidelines advising of what to do for someone intentionally attempting to crash the server. Falling under hacking section, it would imply a permanent ban if the situation occurred.

In this case, we have to prove a violation of this rule. We have to prove that:
1. The action was intentional
2. The action was attempting to crash the server

At this point in time, the rule doesn't technically ban lagging server. The rules don't also clarify that this action of barrel spam could crash the server. Given that is the case, and given that the discussion was more about what would happen if barrel spam occurred, I don't believe a ban would be warranted. I don't think intention can be proven.
Additionally, I don't think this would crash a server. It appears this action would just lag it out for a very short period of time. There is a difference between causing client side lag and causing a server side meltdown. If running into the cars on 67th way and ragdolling into the ceiling can cause the server to crash, wouldn't anyone getting killed by the cars be subject to similar punishment?
Additionally, this particular case was previously discussed in Phoenix's old thread. The issue was not addressed at the time, the only possible indication at the time was that the action was "handled correctly." Giving that the accusation against the staff at the time was at the staff did nothing about the spammer, except maybe give a general warning, that appears to be the appropriate action for this case as well.
I feel this should be added to the list of exploits or called out in the rules as something that could crash a server, before this rule is enforced as such. I don't think there should be a loud, as this kind of lag could cause Gmod to crash. I compare it to discord crashing gifs, which are currently treated as permanent bans in our discord.
But until that rules clarified I don't think I could justify a ban. I'm not going to take action on this and I will allow an admin to handle it, but I don't think a ban is appropriate. A warning at best.
[Image: dan_ceebeast_gif.gif]

Discord Admin - April 2021 - March 2023
TTT Moderator - February 2021 - March 2023
Join our discord: discord.gg/dinks
-1 it's literally not that deep and not worth a ban since they didnt even crash it stop crying please
Crab Nickleson will not be banned. The actions he took do fall under exploiting and as such he will receive a warning. Further instances of exploiting will result in a ban following the TTT guidelines. 

All community members should reframe from attempting this exploit as it can frustrate players with the severity of the lag.
[Image: Bry-Donor-2.gif]