Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
A PSA in regards to donator trial mods
I've seen a few situations, both recently and not so recently, in my time on this server, where a donator trial mod was discriminated against. I've experienced this myself, actually, as a donator trial mod. I get the stance that people have against donator trial mods, I really do, given that we've payed for our position instead of earning it as usual. The thing is, there are a few things in play here that I think most people that discriminate against them don't really consider, and it's actively making the server toxic. I'm going to use this post as a method to illuminate the problems that this behavior is causing; and I don't just mean behavior from the people discriminating against donator trial mods, I mean the behavior of donator trial mods as well.

I get it, you're not happy with the fact that they bought their position instead of earning it. The thing to consider here is that, if they're willing to fork out $35-$40 for it, they really care for the server, and want to help it. While this isn't always true, and there's always that person that wants to go on a power trip, you shouldn't judge the majority by the actions of the minority. Publicly harassing or making fun of a donator trial mod doesn't help them, it doesn't help you, and it doesn't help the server in general. By doing this, you're actively undermining staff efforts to keep people under control, since their authority as a moderator will no longer mean anything with that kind of attitude spreading around. If you, the reader, is doing this, I implore you to stop, since you're actively undermining the staff team in general, not just the individual. Additionally, I feel it's worthwhile to mention that, despite being a donator trial mod, they're willing to help out the server regardless. Lack of experience doesn't make them unfit to be a moderator, it means that they need to be tutored and taught right from wrong, and be given the resources to help them moderate the server properly. I've seen a few staff members that actually specifically dislike donator trial mods, and that attitude isn't helping them to better themselves. What this attitude towards them is doing is actively making them a worse mod in general, and not of their own fault. Even moreso, and this goes for both players and other moderators, it makes the individual in question resent and even hate you. Ideally, a good moderator wouldn't have any prejudice, but it's best to not even have to push the issue. I get that you might not respect them off the bat; respect has to be earned, not bought, but that doesn't mean that you should disrespect them in public.

As for the way that donator trial mods are acting, I've noticed a number of them acting like they can be an asshole on the server, especially in reports, and get away with it. I've talked with other staff members and have been met with a reaction that implies that they definitely shouldn't be acting like that, and I have to agree; all staff members represent the server as a whole. People who actively undermine the staff team time and time again will be cut out like the weak link in a chain. This type of behavior isn't becoming of a staff member, and doesn't bode well for promotion opportunities once they gain enough playtime to apply for moderator. And as a warning, for those of you that do act like assholes while in an official capacity (while handling a staff report, while reporting or responding to a report you made/against you, while advising other people), I record everything when I am online. I have a folder that contains screenshots and videos of staff members that act unbecoming (especially of trial mods), and if you don't shape up I will be sure to post them provided you make a moderator application. Additionally, I've taken notice of some donator trial mods doing something, like, say, accusing someone of ghosting when they're telling you a problem in an official capacity. You're a moderator now, handle situations and PMs like you are one instead of acting like a regular player. No one cares if you're acting like an idiot outside of an official capacity, but don't mingle them. Don't take this post as a personal warning, this is a general problem, but you know who you are, and now the consequences are made clear.

In the end, we should all consider that the people that buy donator trial mod are ultimately trying to help, and it doesn't help anyone to undermine them. If you have an issue with them, it's best to privately message another staff member or post it on the forum. That being said, this post is more or less a summary of the current situation, and what we can do to rectify it. Most people don't see the wide-reaching consequences of their actions, because they haven't thought about it or because they don't care, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any consequences. Consider this a wakeup call so that you start considering them.
Well said man.

I'm still shit tho
Test Moderator on Dinkleberg's TTT.

"You guys are fucking cancer."
We actualy had a dtmod that was promoted to moderator without an application. Some are actualy very good at what they do.
(01-08-2017, 12:59 AM)RussEfarmer Wrote: We actualy had a dtmod that was promoted to moderator without an application. Some are actualy very good at what they do.

This is mostly directed to TTT because drama is created from forever and always TTT servers. But that's how you guys do it on your side, it's a bit different on TTT side.
Like I've said, I'm donor staff. Never made an application in my life. Look at me now.
(01-08-2017, 10:28 AM)Drew Wrote: Like I've said, I'm donor staff. Never made an application in my life. Look at me now.

Same accept for that trusted app that we don't talk about lel.
[Image: Untitled-1.jpg]
The bigger issue is when higher-ups (moderators, etc.) discriminate against T-mods. You're supposed to be a role-model for us.
[Image: laXmwYH.gif]
I agree with this and with what @Christian is doing (the tutorial stuff) I feel like the problems with dtmods and player discrimination will diminish greatly.
It is not okay to literally tell people their opinions are wrong because they disagree.
I'm not against Donor mods but I am against abuse and Donor mods "rage buying" after a denied application. We really should have an age requirement for mod. 

But I can see how donor mods vs mods could be a thing. It's unavoidable. Same concept as someone getting accepted into a college vs someone who got in because their parents have a nice wad of cash. Regardless, every person is different and I know for a fact many great donor mods are here and are great for the community.
[Image: 76561198056585087.png]

(01-12-2017, 04:43 PM)ProReborn Wrote: I'm not against Donor mods but I am against abuse and Donor mods "rage buying" after a denied application. We really should have an age requirement for mod. 

But I can see how donor mods vs mods could be a thing. It's unavoidable. Same concept as someone getting accepted into a college vs someone who got in because their parents have a nice wad of cash. Regardless, every person is different and I know for a fact many great donor mods are here and are great for the community.

I am against this idea because age should not matter. It's your maturity level that should and how you handle things in a professional manner. Would you want a 24 year old mod but he/she acts like a an idiot and don't give a damn about the rules? Or do you want a 13 year old who knows the rules and follows it thoroughly & is very mature despite their age? It's basic concept, age is not how you determine who is a good mod.