Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discussion (Tell me your opinion)
I've decided to do one of these threads every few days... it's simple... just a question, and I want your opinion on it.

First question is...

Do you believe the atomic bombs dropped on Nagasaki and Hiroshima in World War 2 were neccessary?
[Image: giphy.gif]
we should have dropped more bombs
Yes, and Truman gave proper reasoning for doing so. He said he did what he needed to do to protect the American people, his job as commander in chief. If he did not drop the bombs, millions more Americans would likely have died in a ground invasion of mainland Japan, therefore he would not be protecting the American people to the best of his ability. He probably also saved millions of Japanese lives too in dropping the bombs because Japan had a history of being war criminals at that point and countless civilians could have been killed, let alone many soldiers in the ensuing fighting. Could the US have won with a ground invasion? Likely. But why risk millions of American lives when there's an alternative that risks only those in the planes carrying the bombs?
[Image: frieren-fall-winter.jpeg]
During this period, Japan had a culture heavily focused on Honor. Surrendering was literally not an option for them, as they would rather die fighting than live in defeat, and the American military experienced their savagery and determination first hand. After the first bomb was dropped the emperor refused to accept surrender. That's when we dropped the second and said we had plenty more to drop if japan continued to refuse surrender (we did not, in fact, have more than 2 bombs. That was merely a bluff that worked in our favor.) After the second bomb, the emperor of japan conceded defeat, and then had to tell his own country not to commit suicide over the defeat.

So yes, they were necessary as they most definitely lowered the death count, and prevented the Japanese from driving themselves to extinction.
Absolutely. Not a doubt in my mind. The Japanese were literally never going to give up. It was either a nuke or recreating Sherman's march to the sea.
If we didn't drop it, we wouldve lost countless more Americans bc of the Japanesse Never surrender motto
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Downfall
^ What would have happened if we didn't.
former admin2
if we dropped more there would be no weebs
[Image: iOq71ag.jpg]
more bombs = less weebs
ishould had droped more bombs tbh