Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ram Ranch
Hey, can we do better about not letting people play Ram Ranch or other sounds that are hella graphic when literal children are on? And if it is against the rules, then can we do better at enforcing it? last night someone played ram ranch while Cody (idk his whole username) was on and I don't think I saw a warn or reminding of the rules towards this person, I just think the sounds got muted. Im all for queuing up ram ranch, but it is sooooooo gross to do it when a child is on. THANKS :)
[Image: image.png]Don't take anything I say seriously
At the risk of sounding like a goober, I'm going to have to say that enforcing a rule about playing Ram Ranch is not feasible, and special consideration for not queuing the song because a child is on is a bit much.

1. We won't know that the song is queued until it starts playing; anyone who queues the song is most likely going to name the queue something "funny" (the queue names are seldom funny, and the queued music is seldom good, but that's for another time) so the first 2-5 seconds of the song are going to be heard before someone either stops the sound for themselves or a staff member stops the sound for the entire server. I'm also sure that equally bad songs have been queued in the past, whether they be sexually explicit or have "naughty" words in them like the n-word. Should all explicit songs not be queued because a child is on?

2. The minimum age for someone to legally be allowed to play GMod is 13 (section 2.2). I have no idea how old Cody is, but if he's younger than 13, he shouldn't, technically, be playing this game in the first place. Beyond that, it isn't (in my opinion) the job of staff to tailor the queues for the needs of one person. We have more important things to worry about. Of course, if a queue is just completely explicit, tone deaf, racist, etc., action should be taken. But a meme song like this shouldn't be disallowed because there's a child on. If anyone, not just Cody, does not like the queue being played, they have the option to stop the song with !stop. Even when I was 13-14, playing on this very server, if I didn't like a song or knew that it was something explicit that I didn't want to listen to, I had the wherewithal to stop the queue. I didn't need a babysitter or a staff member tailoring the server to me, and I had no expectation of that. If I didn't like something, it was up to me to deal with it, and I did.

3. Ram Ranch has made international news, being talked about on various mainstream news outlets including Rolling Stone, Buzzfeed News (I know), Vice (I know), The Ottawa Citizen, and even The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC), which is a public broadcasting station for radio and television, and is funded by the government of Canada. Some of these articles even have the lyrics in them for anyone to read. The CBC article even has audio of the first line of the song. My point is, news stations that have to answer to advertisers (and even the government) are referencing this song and even playing parts of it.

4. Now the following may be considered an ad hominem fallacy, and I know that Cody isn't here to defend himself, but I'm using it to paint a picture. Cody's language on the server is vulgar. It's even more vulgar when we consider his age. I've told him multiple times to watch his profanity (usually in jest because this is the Internet and I can't control the words that fall out of his mouth), but some of the things that Cody says are just terrible. With him calling people derogatory names and swearing, I wouldn't be surprised if he knew about the content of Ram Ranch already. I really would like to know where his parents or guardians are because my parents could at least hear what I was saying when I was younger. If his parents/guardians aren't controlling him, should we? Maybe they're okay with what he's doing.

5. This point I just thought of while writing point 4, Cody has (to my knowledge) not complained about Ram Ranch. If Ram Ranch was something that bothered him, it is his responsibility to bring that up. Who are we to assume what Cody thinks and feels about a song that some fart face queues on a public TTT server?
Don't get me wrong, protecting children on the server is something that we should do, and I don't even like the song myself. If someone is bullying a child, or poking fun of a child in voice chat or text chat, that person should be with dealt with accordingly. And of course, there will be children younger than 13 who hop on the server. But when someone, child or not, has direct control over what they hear after a round, that person should be expected to handle what enters their ear gates themselves. I'd say that Ram Ranch is tiptoeing the line of should/should not be queued, but given that the song has made it to mainstream news sites, that this is the Internet and a wild place, and that Cody has not brought up his distaste for the song (again, to my knowledge) and can control whether or not he hears the song, I am going to side with freedom of queuing and say that Ram Ranch should be okay to queue and no warnings should be issued if it's queued. If you don't like it, !stop it.

TL;DR: the song sucks but should be allowed to be queued, with or without children on
great points by epicguy, I'd consider the content of the songs to be pg-13 or higher and thankfully that's what gmod tos follows
at 13 !stop or stopsound in console should be ez

i'm not saying it's not weird to queue it, it definitely is and the people who do that shit are weird but at the same time we shouldn't be babysitting
Anyone that knowingly queues something as sexual as ram ranch when minors are on should be institutionalized
(06-01-2022, 12:59 PM)^aethy Wrote: Anyone that knowingly queues something as sexual as ram ranch when minors are on should be institutionalized
!!!!!!!!!!!
[Image: image.png]Don't take anything I say seriously
Epic guy makes some good points. If he is younger then 13 he shouldnt even be playing but we cant control what others do besides making sure people follow the rules
[Image: D6E0C93A-D285-4C99-B7AB-C616869240B2.jpg...2d0fbf6a9&][Image: 86DBE62D-5EE5-47F0-9E4C-DE5FA0541D5B.jpg...d2ef8e0e3&]
Ex- TTT Mod
Dong's Favorite Tmod
(06-01-2022, 12:59 PM)^aethy Wrote: Anyone that knowingly queues something as sexual as ram ranch when minors are on should be institutionalized

I agree with this. It's not that hard to not queue weird shit.
I agree also. I used to enforce this until I was told by admins that ram ranch was ok to queue
[Image: dan_ceebeast_gif.gif]

Discord Admin - April 2021 - March 2023
TTT Moderator - February 2021 - March 2023
Join our discord: discord.gg/dinks
EpicGuy's post summarizes my thoughts mostly, but let me dump my opinion from both angles.

I agree that people should have the responsibility not to queue overly sexual mp3s when players like Cody are present on the server. Keep in mind we're dealing with Garry's Mod players who are more often below average on the 'social awareness' spectrum - so I don't think it's people being intentionally creepy, but just lacking the awareness that there is a literal child on the server and not realizing the consequences of exposing them to content like this. However, if people are found to be purposely going out of their way to expose underage players to queues like this, yes they should be removed from the community and probably put on a list somewhere.

On the other side, however, TTT isn't a daycare and everyone shouldn't suddenly be expected to behave like angels simply because someone's child decides to breach Gmod ToS and play online. Given some of the things he's said (as EpicGuy mentioned), he obviously has somewhat unmonitored access to the internet and whatever he sees on gmod definitely isn't the worst of it.

At the end of the day, Dinkleberg's isn't "family friendly" as far as I'm aware. As I'm typing this, I see two players named "Jizzstain" and "Jennifer Love Hugedick" on the server. But I do agree with the common sense that people shouldn't force inappropriate media onto minors.
How is this even a discussion?
Weird ass queue like Ram Ranch, which is deliberately talking about sex, should not be queued when there is a child on. I don't think it is that hard to even distinguish that Cody is a kid. It doesn't even matter if the player is on the "below average on the 'social awareness' spectrum."

It is not a daycare, but it is common sense and decency to not be the reason to expose Cody to these things.

TLDR: don't be fuckin weird.