Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Modeste Proposal
I have been asked by multiple people what my thoughts are on the drama of recent days, as I've more or less been "riding the fence" so to speak, because every recent issue is actual a much more deep-seated moral issue, and an issue of priorities than I care to get into. It's not as black and white as is pretended by most who are all for or all against one thing or another. You can hate what Jack said, and also hate that Goose got in trouble for what some might view as innocuous. You can want Goose perma'd while also thinking Kaiwan was in the wrong as well, though not as much as Dan, of course. It's all multi-faceted, and more complex than "the group of people that agree with me more often is right, and the rest are wrong" which is how it feels some are portraying these issues, to the point where they're outwardly causing further problems to antagonize those who they see as an opposition to their views, when in reality they probably agree over a great many things, it's just the few things that they don't.

And we, of course, can't forget about bias, which at some point people just need to recognize is there. Bias exists, and most find it hard to help it. When you have feelings for someone, good or bad, it will influence your entire through process about anything they might be involved in, to the point where you don't even realize you're thinking of something differently than you usually would be. When you go to bat for someone, you don't actively think of what they might be doing wrong, even if you're telling self you are, because that bond you have with someone is rooted much further than your conscious mind. It's okay to have a bias, just try to understand what that means and make sure it's known, and still try to use logic.

Similarly, a lot of people throw hypocrisy around. Of course people are going to be hypocrites about many things. We live in a society overly inundated with information, where we do something different every single day. The amount of things the average person does in their life that differs from everything else they have done, versus that of someone a hundred years ago is insane. We have the ability to do something different every couple of seconds and that can go on forever. So of course some actions and thoughts and opinions will overlap in ways that seem, or are, hypocritical. We're ever-evolving creatures who have quite literally more information than is possible to keep straight going through our minds and past our eyes constantly. We can hear one sentence that seems to be completely random that can completely change a worldview and we might not know it for years, just because of the vast amount of information we have to sift through and process.

All this is to say, I have a proposal. Not as much of an exchange, no give and takes here, but an overwhelming desire as someone who both loves and loathes every facet of the recent dramas. Hit the reset button. Let it all go back to square one. No grudges, for the most part (obviously a few can't go back because of direct personal affronts, but maybe even they can, who knows). Because everyone is a bitter, hypocritical, bias, venomous little human just as much as most everyone is filled with thought and care for each other. Most things people do are from a good place, I'll always believe that. Your perspectives, and the way you grow up just make one person's good another person's bad, and that's something to be talked about, not met with obstinance. Let it go, realize someone has a different view than you and just talk to them about it, you might learn something.

also something about eating irish children to stave off hunger
[Image: TWQlDjL.png] 
-courtesy of a sarcastic fish

[Image: t2X0SiD.png]
-courtesy of milk(2)
I think a major source of this issue stems from people having mob mentality and refusing to view things objectively as they could instead of instantly hating someone for their opinion (unless it's a warranted shit take). I do think a lot of assumptions immediately get thrown around like you said, mainly jumping to calling something biased or hippocritical, when it's definitely not the case. Some shit just happens and we gotta either get over it or make up for it and try to be better. I won't talk about recent drama since I think it applies everywhere when I say this: just try and imagine being in someone else's shoes. What are they going through? What are they doing in their lives? What can be causing them joy or despair? I think if we can learn to empathize with each other and just stop bashing at full speed whenever something you disagree with happens we can all learn to be friends and grow better together.

I hope What I'm trying to say makes sense, as everyone knows I'm awful at conveying my thoughts over text but yeah. Maybe try actually talking to each other about things and thing will be a lot better for everyone.

Thank you for this post rand, it's was a great read and I think very needed right now. Have a great day!
We're just a giant ass
Cheeks are made of children
Old was just a fad
Shit on all the billions
you're soy wojak i'm gigachad
[Image: gBkzZod.png]
Sorry rand you said something I don’t like 3 years ago so I’m going to forever bash you at every opportunity. At least I can agree with eating the Irish.
I think the threshold for people being offended and mad is also incredibly low here lately it seems. People say stupid stuff to me all the time but I don't go to the forums everytime I'm offended you know
Hotdogs are actually a sandwich.
former admin2
(11-03-2022, 09:53 AM)tiefling lesbian Wrote: you're soy wojak i'm gigachad

[Image: rnsa85.jpeg]
[Image: xdjlve.png]
[Image: frieren-fall-winter.jpeg]
Can someone provide a TL/DR, not reading this essay.

Joking aside, I've definitely noticed it becoming incredibly cringeworthy how hostile people are being to each other because there are disagreements. We are friends, yet I see people literally causing divides in friend groups over these things. Sometimes, the best course of action is taking a step back and taking a nice, deep breath in!
someone please re-ban this guy