Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Shipping container house
Alright I need some opinions on this because everyone I talk to is a big hater when it comes to a shipping container house, but I don't think it's a bad idea.

Think about buying a house right, super expensive. A house is gonna be like $150,000-$300,000 depending on where you live, and you don't even have any privacy, you've got the neighbors directly next to you 90% of the time and you don't get a yard unless you get lucky and find a good spot. You can buy a house in rural areas but finding a good house actually for sale in those spots is basically impossible and is going to be super expensive. And even if you get the perfect house, it's gonna be damaged by fire, wind, falling trees, earthquakes, bullets, etc, which is pretty dumb.

So why would I spend a ton of money for that crap when I have a master plan. $30-60k depending on how big you want and the location can get you about 4-12 acre plot of land, if it's pre cleared cool but if it's woodland it's no big deal to have it logged and stumped. $6k for a septic system install, $10k for a water well install, and some electric service put in. So far you've spent less than 100k and already have way more land and privacy than a regular house.

Then the shipping containers come in. You will probably need an engineer to approve the building design before the construction to make sure it's not going to fall down so you can legally build it. You get some concrete poured for a foundation, and get some shipping containers delivered. Shipping containers are like 3-5k on ebay each and freighting them over is a few hundred bucks, cheaper if you're near a port. Install them on the pad, get them anchored, angle grinder your doors and windows and stuff, weld the containers together for strength. Put in some framing with wood, or steel for fire resistance, insulate, then drywall. Since it's insulated you wont have any issues with heating or cooling. The annoying part of the insulating is you need to insulate the bottom of the container, I think spray foam would work fine for that if you can get the container on its side. You also want some water resistance and drainage since the metal will probably sweat with changing temperatures. If you want a bigger house you are gonna need more shipping containers, you can stack them up or put them in a big line, however you want it. If you have trouble with it passing residential housing code, just have your place of residence legally somewhere else and claim the building as a commercial property through an LLC. 

The result is going to be fire proof, water proof, wind proof, bullet proof, car proof, etc. way more than a regular stick built house, while being way cheaper and way more customizable. Want more house? Add more containers, and there's no stupid HOA, no neighbors, you have a ton of room to do whatever you want.

actual half serious thread the haters are getting to me, this isn't totally insane right
zoning is not gonna allow it anywhere

didn't read the post
Honestly not a crazy idea. Though you could save money on the shipping containers and renovation costs by just chopping down all the trees on the lot and building a log cabin.
[Image: b_560x95.png]
pay the same price as a house and do 10x more work to get a worse house
[Image: gBkzZod.png]
Where I live unless your actually getting a heating system you would freeze to death in that house.
i dont have to worry about the price of stuff since im rich
(11-30-2022, 12:22 AM)Icey Wrote: i dont have to worry about the price of stuff since im rich
prove it by sending me $100
(11-30-2022, 12:22 AM)tiefling lesbian Wrote:
(11-30-2022, 12:22 AM)Icey Wrote: i dont have to worry about the price of stuff since im rich
prove it by sending me $100
no.

act broke to stay rich
(11-30-2022, 12:01 AM)stoked Wrote: zoning is not gonna allow it anywhere

didn't read the post

most stuff here is zoned as ag so as long as you make some part of it farmable land doesnt really matter a ton what you do with the rest

(11-30-2022, 12:04 AM)tiefling lesbian Wrote: pay the same price as a house and do 10x more work to get a worse house

same price for a worse house PLUS a giant circle around you with no neighbors, id rather have the worlds shittiest house than have neighbors. i need the 40 foot steel wall with lava moat, shotgun traps, 22 million lumen flood lights on perimeter, sniper tower, etc
(11-30-2022, 12:29 AM)RussEfarmer Wrote:
(11-30-2022, 12:01 AM)stoked Wrote: zoning is not gonna allow it anywhere

didn't read the post

most stuff here is zoned as ag so as long as you make some part of it farmable land doesnt really matter a ton what you do with the rest

(11-30-2022, 12:04 AM)tiefling lesbian Wrote: pay the same price as a house and do 10x more work to get a worse house

same price for a worse house PLUS a giant circle around you with no neighbors, id rather have the worlds shittiest house than have neighbors
i would rather have central air and plumbing