Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Staff application for The Lamb
Not gonna dwell on the topics already mentioned a lot, except for when you say "i like to see cheaters cry." I know it says cheaters specifically, but that just makes it seem like you think the only way any problem can be solved is through using commands, when its not. Situations can be handled through de-escalation.
You also said you didn't make a ban request on some ghosters and just asked staff to watch them because you don't have the tools staff have, but you don't need to. If you are able to record that's all you need to make a ban request.
On the server you are pretty chill for the most part from what I remember from 2022 and my sparse activity as of late. You also have used your donor commands when staff is on before.
Overall, you are a pretty chill guy for the most part when nothing too serious is going on, but you really need to work on the points everyone else has said. -1.
[Image: image.png]
(07-31-2023, 06:23 AM)August Wrote: Hi Lamb. I’m going to warn you that I’m going to be brutally honest. I don’t do it to be mean, I’m doing to face the problem head-on to show you what you need to work on.

To be blunt, I do not support your staff app for a few reasons.

First, I think you’re doing this more as a selfish reason. You want the power, you want the status, and I believe this because when you came back to the community you had this air of entitlement as if this community owed you something. It didn’t, but I believe you think it does.

Second, you complain CONSTANTLY. It’s to the point where I personally had to mute you on discord because you just wouldn’t stop despite being told multiple times to chill out. As of me writing this response, this happened four days ago. You do have a discord ban on record as well, but you correctly acknowledged this was a while ago. While I was definitely present for that incident, due to how much time has passed, it does not hold any real weight to me so consider that ignored right now.

Lastly, it’s just your general attitude. I touched on it a little in the last couple points, but overall you do not carry yourself like a staff member. There isn’t a real sense of maturity that I can see that tells me “yeah he’ll be alright as a staff member.” You also jump to conclusions VERY quickly, without really investigating or putting much thought into it. The most recent example is what the others had already talk about, when you assumed someone was ghosting with only 3 kills in 3 rounds. Had you thought about it and looked into it, there was not enough there to support any real sus of ghosting, let along a ping for staff.

Overall, I just don’t think you’re anywhere near ready for us to allow you into the team. Now ultimately it’s the call of the PH Admins, but I recommend that you wait, work on yourself and get better, and come back at a later time and we’ll see if you’re ready.

1. Ah damn, I just knew that power hungry cult leader dictator funny man character I pretend to be on Discord would come back to bite me. This reason's kinda silly. It's just a fun character I play.

2. Fairrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. But I do care. Mainly giving you a hard time because the server hasn't changed much from when I joined 2 years ago. It's frustrating when everything seems to move in slow motion here. It's like, okay, we don't go for the neck when dealing with cheaters. But the map vote thing just seemed like nothing was being done about it for like a week. There's no problem to deliberate on or anything and it frustrated me that it was just, pbbbth, stuck at a standstill.

3. I don't really super agree with this. Well, with the maturity thing. I don't think that needs to be an always on thing for a staff member, if you understand what I mean. I'm perfectly capable of flipping that switch.

I also don't see what's wrong with sussing on someone. I didn't say to ban him, but I like to play the game and not have to do the job of a staff member when staff is already available to do it.
Could I more definitively prove that guy was cheating? Pretty much, yeah. I kind of thought it was staff's job to help with the community's concerns and I had one.

This is also ignoring the many times I do ping for staff and it's fairly definitive. The situation you just described has pretty much happened once. You all told me how you felt about it, and it hasn't happened since. So I don't know if it's really fair to hold that over my head like you all are.

(08-01-2023, 03:35 AM)Carson Wrote: Not gonna dwell on the topics already mentioned a lot, except for when you say "i like to see cheaters cry." I know it says cheaters specifically, but that just makes it seem like you think the only way any problem can be solved is through using commands, when its not. Situations can be handled through de-escalation.
You also said you didn't make a ban request on some ghosters and just asked staff to watch them because you don't have the tools staff have, but you don't need to. If you are able to record that's all you need to make a ban request.
On the server you are pretty chill for the most part from what I remember from 2022 and my sparse activity as of late. You also have used your donor commands when staff is on before.
Overall, you are a pretty chill guy for the most part when nothing too serious is going on, but you really need to work on the points everyone else has said. -1.

I don't deescalate with hackers and ghosters, that's just silly. I absolutely ask people to stop being loud and annoying in voice chat and give warnings and whatnot. Nobody's complained yet.

And yeah, I just wanted to enjoy my night and staff were on so I asked if they could take a look. That also only happened once. Rest of the times ended in them getting banned pretty much right there and them being sure-thing cheaters. I prefer that to making a ban request on the forums. Whole process start to end gets wrapped up on the server by a single person.

Like once, when I first came back. Hasn't happened since.
[Image: cult-of-the-lamb-pentagram.gif]
“I don't deescalate with hackers and ghosters, that's just silly”

My friend, as someone who has staffed multiple GMod servers, I get it. They’re usually trolls too and trolling them back is the temptation and something I have done in the past myself. But it’s also a selfish way to go about it. Sure, it gives you that satisfaction. But a lot of people are on to play the game. Having a pissing contest with them brings down the vibe of the whole server, I’m not there to listen to staff bicker with minges, I would want staff to take proactive steps in solving the issue the best they can. That’s not to say it’s forbidden to make a benign sarcastic remark or anything, but a big facet of staff is keeping a level head in difficult situations. Many of the comments with constructive criticism here and the responses given by you do not show me you have the levelheadedness needed for staff at the current time. For that reason, I my vote is going to a -1. 
[Image: frieren-fall-winter.jpeg]
(we have the same pfp so this may look a little confusing to some, sorry)

Your attitude in this thread is that of a person who is so confident in their own judgment and decision-making abilities that they are unwilling to learn or adapt to the expectations held for staff in this community. I'm not going to assume you are that person, but I am going to give you some advice that may help you not come across as that person. 
If your intent is to debate about whether or not your behavior is already befitting of a staff member, just give up now. Stop defending yourself, bite your tongue, and say "thank you for the feedback". These criticisms aren't accusations for you to argue with. They're feedback to help you get a better understanding of how you can change your behavior in order to present yourself appropriately and be a good staff member. 

This application is a learning opportunity for you, not a trial. Stop treating it like one.
(08-02-2023, 07:16 PM)reina Wrote: -snip-
snippingg everything reina just said and adding on.

to explain my two prior comments in this thread.

I was curious to how you would respond. In my first comment, I challenged you. You responded as if I were out for your blood. I am not. I wanted to check your response in an organic fashion. I think your response to my first comment speaks volumes about you currently. My second comment was to elaborate to you further on the first comment, and the reasonings why I found those topics mentioned to be problems. I think your response to my second comment also speaks volumes about you currently.

I think you could do a great deal of good by taking a step back. Staff of Dinks are held to a higher standard than other players. After all, we are pillars of the community meant to be people that others can go to for any kind of problem here, be it cheaters, trolls, or other issues as small as ' oh, I can't get this setting/bind to work', or 'oh, whatever whatever about discord'.

ask yourself if who you portray yourself as in the community matches this. If it doesn't (and it does not), then how about a suggestion. stop. re-evaluate. What is it that people are saying about me/to me? I think I and others have some pretty valid critiques for you.  I would take some of these critiques, re-evaluate, and pivot off of these critiques.

Again. I never said you are a bad person. but that hardly was conveyed by everything in recent.

just putting this out there. I think with work on all critiques here, you could potentially be staff in the future. However, as it stands right now, I don't think you have the right frame of mind for it.

P.S. Staff have surprisingly few tools to find cheaters/exploiters/ghosters. These can all be found/discovered by simply watching. For example, I would highly recommend combing the ban requests section to see how we detect cheats and ghosting. Often this is done by watching their POV. I, for example will watch POV, sus by hunting patterns, and then look closer if I think someone is not legit. Kills per time is simply not a good enough metric to completely sus someone. many of the good players in PH have alt accounts that they use.
(08-02-2023, 07:16 PM)reina Wrote: (we have the same pfp so this may look a little confusing to some, sorry)

Your attitude in this thread is that of a person who is so confident in their own judgment and decision-making abilities that they are unwilling to learn or adapt to the expectations held for staff in this community. I'm not going to assume you are that person, but I am going to give you some advice that may help you not come across as that person. 
If your intent is to debate about whether or not your behavior is already befitting of a staff member, just give up now. Stop defending yourself, bite your tongue, and say "thank you for the feedback". These criticisms aren't accusations for you to argue with. They're feedback to help you get a better understanding of how you can change your behavior in order to present yourself appropriately and be a good staff member. 

This application is a learning opportunity for you, not a trial. Stop treating it like one.

it's not a learning opportunity for most of these posts because a lot of it consists of
1. assuming i'm going to be power hungry because i said i wanted to make cheaters cry
2. got banned two years ago
3. you sussed on someone once recently and pinged staff and for that reason you clearly have no idea how to spot ghosters.

I don't really feel like my staff app is being given a fair shake when that's most of the complaints. If that's what's to complain about then I'm not sure I'll ever be able to live up to these standards. Be somewhat suspicious of someone and call attention on it once? Not fit for staff. I'll always have been previously banned. And I'll have always have made the joke "want to make cheaters cry".

The fairest criticisms are my inactivity on the forums, the recent mute, giving staff a hard time. Those are solvable. I'm not really going to just shut up and take it either. I'm going to dispute what I think are some silly criticisms.

Thanks for reminding me about that Discord ban I got two years ago that could have been a warning instead. I guess I'll sit here and wait another ten, twenty years or something like that. Til I'm at least 40. Maybe a human lifetime is enough to make a Discord ban statistically irrelevant in the eyes of a data driven analysis. Maybe you can see why this line annoyed me.

I'll be sure to have my staff application for this prophunt server professionally proofread next time as well, to the exacting standard that a gmod community on Discord requires, to ensure there's no language that could even in passing be misconstrued as power hungry, not that I could even do anything to wreck the server in the first place as trusted that I couldn't have already done in the past two years as a donor. I already HAVE power. Perhaps next time I'll just have ChatGPT write it for me, since boring, safe, serious fluff pieces are its specialty. Maybe you can see why this line annoyed me.

Only two responses were ever really totally fair and those were Bird's and August's. Every single reply here could have been a copy paste of Bird or August's replies and I would have been fine with that and as you said, bite my tongue and say thanks. I pretty much said exactly that to Bird. If I ever make a staff app and someone calls out my previous ban or a lighthearted joke as reasons to -1 you can be sure I will dispute and argue against that as well, because those will never stop being silly reasons to hold someone back from staff.

It's hard not to see this as a trial since I'm having to defend the actual severity or scenarios that are being brought up in objection to my becoming staff.

I don't know what else to tell you. Say months from now I make another staff app, and I haven't done anything else objectionable since, is that going to be enough for you? If I have learned, are you going to give me credit for that? I feel the answer is no based on the feedback I've gotten. It's very discouraging.
[Image: cult-of-the-lamb-pentagram.gif]
I just have some suggestions for you since you can answer your own questions rather easily if you look & other helpful tips.

• I would recommend reading previous staff apps to see what got people approved.

Approvedhttps://www.dinklebergsgmod.com/site/for...php?fid=62

• if you would like to answer your question on whether or not we hold people to things they have changed I would all so look at people's denied apps as well as the approved ones to see if yourself that we always acknowledge improvements.

Denied:https://www.dinklebergsgmod.com/site/for...php?fid=63

• Don't force yourself to have the last say it can come off as argumentative.

• I understand that you are planning a charter wen you say stuff like "I want to make cheaters cry", however something you got to keep in mind is not everyone knows you super well & seeing stuff like that is concerning to those who aging don't know you well. I would think about how you present yourself to others for the 1st time.

• Reading the room. Sometimes wen people don't really want to talk about a subject & you keep on forcing it. It can come off as argumentative. No one wants a staff member who messes with the vibe of the room, people want to chill not argue.

• Ban 2 years ago. I and others don't care about that one, time has passed & you admitted it was in bad taste. This was actually a good thing you did.

I think what people where referring to falsely as a ban was your mute on discord for arguing. I could be wrong,  but I'm sure that was it.

• not being able to identify ghosters is actually a concern wen applying for a staff position, we do actually need you to ok at spotting them & no you don't need to be perfect we have training for that & staff still get it wrong sometimes, but what if we gave you the trusted role & community members got upset because a staff member can't handle one of there more basic tasks. They would just go people don't want to deal with that, it can feel worse for people then just having the ghosters on.

The only tool you don't have for catching the ghosters that staff do is the fact you can't break the rules & switch teams to watch the players. Even with a tool that tells you who is friends with who, you still have to figure out if they are ghosting together or or with someone else who is not on there friends list. TLDR we don't ban someone by proximity, that would be silly.

Reach out if you would like to start picking up how to catch these ghosters.

• General presentation needs just a bit of work. I went over some points already, but you seem like you have some fun intrest I would focus more on that, like the whole lamb thing you got going.

• this last one if for everyone, this is a good way to stop walls of text without it just being -snip-

You type spoiler at the start of the text & /spoiler at the point you want the text to end with the ][ around the spoiler just facing the opposite direction of course.

So like this.

Show Content

That is the end of my feed back, you have a fair bit to work on, but nothing you can't solve in a month or too.

So I would like to see you reply again in the future wen you believe you have worked on these points

Potato was someone who all so started of with a bad rep & now he is a good staff member so don't assume wen want to worst for you ok :)

-1 on this application, but if you improve on my points you will have my +1 on the next one.

Just take it easy one step at a timem
[Image: i43gHnI.png]
(08-03-2023, 07:23 PM)Praise the Lamb Wrote:
(08-02-2023, 07:16 PM)reina Wrote: -snip-

Thanks for reminding me about that Discord ban I got two years ago that could have been a warning instead. I guess I'll sit here and wait another ten, twenty years or something like that. Til I'm at least 40. Maybe a human lifetime is enough to make a Discord ban statistically irrelevant in the eyes of a data driven analysis. Maybe you can see why this line annoyed me. 

I never even alluded to your ban, so I'm confused on why you're complaining about it being mentioned. My response was point-blank advice with no underlying message. You're only hurting yourself when you assume everything is an attack on you and your character. I don't want to derail your application with an argument, so I'll leave you with one last piece of advice:

Stop complaining.
So here’s the thing with any sort of community such as this and in turn anything related to staffing. It’s a game of perception. A common theme amongst all staff apps here is that in terms of people in the community that play regularly, the general consensus is a positive perception- generally active, known, levelheaded, and willing to listen. On the servers, the most successful staff have a perception that they can balance fun and enforcement of rules. Handling problem players with good judgment garners good perception from guests/people who play but don’t really hang around here or the discord. That being said, it’s not necessarily reflective of reality as some people who have had been perceived as great have been poor staff. But that’s the nature of the game- everyone here has a level of anonymity (unless they decide to use a real name). There’s no reality to measure the perception on semi-anonymous web communities because we’re all fake here one way or another. But you can improve perception via reading the room and being open to considering feedback even if it’s not what you believe about yourself or what you want to hear. Yeah, it’s a gut punch to your ego, but the perception is not going to change unless your actions and demeanor reflect constructive criticism given to you, especially those who have been around the block for staffing.
[Image: frieren-fall-winter.jpeg]
Alrighty now that all of the busy lil bee admins have finally chatted over the staff apps we have our decisions, sorry for the delay.

Hello Lamb, let's get down to it.

We are going to deny this application. It seems that you may be treating this application a bit too much like a trial. A lot of people have given you suggestions and have not sugar coded it for you. This seems to have led you to defend yourself left and right instead of accepting most of the criticisms and suggestions.
If you decide to apply again we suggest that you really try to be a better part of this community, looking at all the past staff and applications is a good idea. (Good job milkchan)
Taking a step back and reassessing how you want to act and be like in this community isn't a bad idea either. A lot of people sited your general attitude and how you tend to act a bit holy-than-thou, it's not a requirement to have everyone like you or vice versa to be staff but you have to be able to at least treat the members of our community with at least a mutual respect.
Also your attitude towards "cheaters" wouldn't help you get far in their apprehensions, it would more than likely hurt more than help.

I don't want to drag this out more than I already have but if you decide to come back/stick around we suggest you try to work on yourself before you apply again.

The soonest you may apply again is 09/08/2023. We suggest you wait a bit longer.
[Image: drunk-possum.jpg]
MEEP.
STOP FUCKING PUSHING ME.