Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Staff application for The Lamb
Ingame name: Praise the Lamb

Steam ID: STEAM_0:1:66145677

Time played: 6 days, 16 hours

First joined: Aug 23, 2021 3:00 PM

Availability: 3 PM - 6PM CST, 3AM - 6AM CST (3PM - 6AM CST on Weekends!)

Rank Desired: Trusted

Current rank: Donor, Regular

What can you do to help the community?: Staff that actually plays regularly, additional staff, staff at new hours, technical expertise if you ever promote me above trusted ; )

Why do you want to help the community?: Because I like seeing cheaters cry, mainly. Staff already know I'm quite vigilant. I also want to have more direct input in improving PH.

Have you previously been banned?: Yes, once, years ago on Discord, for a joke in bad taste about TikTok. See here.

Have you previously applied for staff?: Nope.

Do you have a way to record video or take screenshots?: Yes, I have a Shadowplay clone for Linux and OBS.

How did you find us?: Saw Prophunt on YouTube and joined the first server I saw that had players.

Other: I've ran several Minecraft servers myself on bare metal on OVH and I also once ran a Google services "competitor" for myself at my friends, IE cloud storage, email, backup, Gitlab, all tied into SSO. Like I said in my introduction post, I do IT as a hobby. I'm setting up the Google services competitor again, this time with Talos Linux and using containers running on Kubernetes.
[Image: cult-of-the-lamb-pentagram.gif]
short answer: no, -1 with prejudice.

Long answer: hoooooo boy lets dig into this one.

Hi Praise the Lamb. at this time, I do not wish to +1 this app. there are several reasons for this, so lets be as diplomatic as we review these reasons:

1. making cheaters cry-- this motive is actually plain horrible. this is not community focused, and indicates that you will gun to punish people. that is not the goal as staff. Dinks staff is aimed at making Dinks' servers a better place. all your stated objective accomplishes is selfishness.

2. previous discord ban--the reason for your previous discord ban makes me unwilling to +1 your app. Dink's prophunt is frequented by all ages, especially minors. I am honestly not comfortable with the idea that a fellow staff would feel comfortable discussing/joking about those kind of topics around minors. its kind of yucky.

3. overall demeanor. I and several other people have noticed a demeanor from you that at best can be described as badgering, and at worst, close to/at harassing. I know you likely do not mean to come off that way, but the end result is the same. repeatedly badgering people/using a badgering demeanor does not really win the hearts and minds of others. The result is that I and others can sometimes feel that you are badgering/overbearing, which is not a trait that is desirable for staff. 

4. lack of (good) presence in the community. In lieu of points (1) and (2) and partly (3), I have to say that overall, you don't really meet the criteria of being someone that the community can look to to say "yeah, this person is a good guy". Can you defend a (2) scenario if you were staff? I do not think so, because one of the big rules of PH is to not make that kind of " " joke " "(or to really discuss that stuff in server). TBH, a discord ban speaks volumes about you. 

conclusion:
inferencing from (1), (2), and (3), mainly (1) and (2) I refuse to do anything other than -1 this app or others unless change is made.
It is true that people can change. but as it stands right now, no, I will not vote other than -1. you have made it clear to me that your goals here is simply to be able to punish other people, and not to make dinks a better place. Honestly, this smells of power hunger. But that's just an opinion.

Additional edit. as bird says, I am not sure you know the difference between "hmm, this player is odd" and "whoa, this player is suspicious of cheats/ghosting". I would highly recommend perusing through past ban requests to understand how to spot cheating/ghosting versus good playing. it can be really hard.

I say this because I just played with you at ~1 AM, and you sussed a player, that, while suspicious on paper, and had a couple sus moments, was nothing more that "kinda fishy, but also likely not suspicious of cheats/ghosting. IIRC you pointed out a player, sussed them for cheats, but I really thought he was more suspicious of ghosting with his two friends. 

this addition is an observation.
Incepimus, Nunc et semper.
This means that "we begin, now and forever", and translates as "always we begin again"
What this actually means is that we should always strive to better ourselves, because tomorrow is a new day.
I hope you take it to heart. Remember, an improvement, no matter how small, is improvement.

BIIG_SAD
(07-30-2023, 10:25 PM)BIIG_SAD Wrote: short answer: no, -1 with prejudice.

Long answer: hoooooo boy lets dig into this one.

Hi Praise the Lamb. at this time, I do not wish to +1 this app. there are several reasons for this, so lets be as diplomatic as we review these reasons:

1. making cheaters cry-- this motive is actually plain horrible. this is not community focused, and indicates that you will gun to punish people. that is not the goal as staff. Dinks staff is aimed at making Dinks' servers a better place. all your stated objective accomplishes is selfishness.

2. previous discord ban--the reason for your previous discord ban makes me unwilling to +1 your app. Dink's prophunt is frequented by all ages, especially minors. I am honestly not comfortable with the idea that a fellow staff would feel comfortable discussing/joking about those kind of topics around minors. its kind of yucky.

3. overall demeanor. I and several other people have noticed a demeanor from you that at best can be described as badgering, and at worst, close to/at harassing. I know you likely do not mean to come off that way, but the end result is the same. repeatedly badgering people/using a badgering demeanor does not really win the hearts and minds of others. The result is that I and others can sometimes feel that you are badgering/overbearing, which is not a trait that is desirable for staff. 

4. lack of (good) presence in the community. In lieu of points (1) and (2) and partly (3), I have to say that overall, you don't really meet the criteria of being someone that the community can look to to say "yeah, this person is a good guy". Can you defend a (2) scenario if you were staff? I do not think so, because one of the big rules of PH is to not make that kind of " " joke " "(or to really discuss that stuff in server). TBH, a discord ban speaks volumes about you. 

conclusion:
inferencing from (1), (2), and (3), mainly (1) and (2) I refuse to do anything other than -1 this app or others unless change is made.
It is true that people can change. but as it stands right now, no, I will not vote other than -1. you have made it clear to me that your goals here is simply to be able to punish other people, and not to make dinks a better place. Honestly, this smells of power hunger. But that's just an opinion.

1. As staff on a game server, I'd think that you'd want cheaters to not have a good time, but it's whatever you say. I play game night with the community and I do my best as donor to keep the server under control. I don't think there's been an instance of me "power tripping" yet. This is just plain pedantry.

2. It was literally years ago, and I've been pardoned, calm down.

3. Eh? Not sure how you mean this. I'm quick to suss on people but that's about all I can think of. Maybe I play a silly character in the Discord, but I can be serious when the need arises. It's all in good fun, otherwise.

4. Literally two years ago.

This seems pretty prejudiced thanks to your repeated harping on something that happened two years ago and then being a pedant about my wording. It's in the past and several staff have had previous bans, and being a pedant is just petty and unfair. I am inclined to think you just don't like me. Plenty of others do in the server and I'm an active participant. I have a good track record as a donor over the years and I've rarely if ever overstepped my bounds. I've turned over a new leaf since two freaking years ago and I want to be able to more directly help on PH.
This is my honest opinion so, this is a -1 from the birb. 

While I hadn't played with you that often, the conversations that I had seen in discord made me decided you aren't ready to be staff. I feel like you jumped the gun to often when it's come to ghosters/hackers. For example: when you had pinged staff about a player that had 3 kills with 30 mins of playtime in a round 3 of the map, you immediately jump the gun that they are a ghoster/hacker bc of their playtime and "new" account. That isn't enough proof that the player is ghosting/hacking since staffs need to gather enough proof that they are doing it.  It's fine that you suspected them but you need just a little more proof to confirm it (such as hiding in a well-hidden spot, watching them as hunter, etc) instead of immediately pinging staffs right away. 

Just like Sad say, your overall demeanor in the discord give me a negative vibe of how you had handled things. I had seen you being told to move on from the topic/calm down in discord which you didn't and got muted for a hour. Staffs are to be strict and making sure of any situations in the community doesn't go overboard. 

Outside of discord, I don't see you being active in forums or post any ban requests at all. Although ban requests isn't a requirement of being staff, it help us staff to understand how you work and how you handle at any situations. 

If you truly want to be staff, I will suggested working all the things that I and others had mentioned and create a positive rep for yourself in the community.
IM THE BIRD : )
[Image: fce0cd09fdc96ca73df8963eeac3f694.jpg]
(07-30-2023, 10:56 PM)Bird (2) Wrote: This is my honest opinion so, this is a -1 from the birb. 

While I hadn't played with you that often, the conversations that I had seen in discord made me decided you aren't ready to be staff. I feel like you jumped the gun to often when it's come to ghosters/hackers. For example: when you had pinged staff about a player that had 3 kills with 30 mins of playtime in a round 3 of the map, you immediately jump the gun that they are a ghoster/hacker bc of their playtime and "new" account. That isn't enough proof that the player is ghosting/hacking since staffs need to gather enough proof that they are doing it.  It's fine that you suspected them but you need just a little more proof to confirm it (such as hiding in a well-hidden spot, watching them as hunter, etc) instead of immediately pinging staffs right away. 

Just like Sad say, your overall demeanor in the discord give me a negative vibe of how you had handled things. I had seen you being told to move on from the topic/calm down in discord which you didn't and got muted for a hour. Staffs are to be strict and making sure of any situations in the community doesn't go overboard. 

Outside of discord, I don't see you being active in forums or post any ban requests at all. Although ban requests isn't a requirement of being staff, it help us staff to understand how you work and how you handle at any situations. 

If you truly want to be staff, I will suggested working all the things that I and others had mentioned and create a positive rep for yourself in the community.
Fair 'nuff. I should also mention I didn't make a ban request for these people, usually I just ask staff to watch them. I don't have the tools you all have. The most recent one I was just suspicious.
-snip-
to explain further:
(1) you said: "
Because I like seeing cheaters cry, mainly. Staff already know I'm quite vigilant. I also want to have more direct input in improving PH." you told me this yourself in your app. you seek to punish, and that is the least desirable outcome for this server. Ideally, we would only have to remove problems once in a blue moon. Additionally, this conveys a lot about your attitude and stance about staffing. to you, it seems like staffing serves the role of a punisher; to punish people. It is not. the main goal of a staff member is to (a) be a pillar of the community that people can get advice about and (b) help keep the server as a nice place

(2) it is true, your discord ban was/is old. However, it is not the age of the ban, but the topic that is concerning to me and likely others. so no, it is not something to say "calm down" over. 
(see: situation 10; Prop hunt rule guidelines). We take matters like the topic that you got banned for talking about very seriously. a previous ban on that topic is generally something to talk about seriously. It is not, in fact, something to be blaise' / laissez-faire about. Honestly, your attitude about it could sour people. Instead of adressing a concern about that topic seriously, you downplay it as if it were not a bad thing. Spoiler: its a bad thing. Time doesnt really fix that stuff.
also you have to understand that not all the staff know you all that well in terms of prophunt. So the only litmus test we can use is to see how you have behaved in prior. when picking staff, we take a lot of steps to ensure that the staff we pick are not only good at staffing, but can be pillars of the community in a positive fashion. behaviors like getting banned, and in recent, activities like getting muted by an admin (recent event), tend to make the data-driven amongst us look at people in a certain fashion.

(3) by overbearing, I meant overall behavior. also, dont be quick to sus. that's literally not how staffing works. to quote what another staff taught me: "if you solve your problems with a hammer, everything will look like a nail". In other words, don't be hasty to jump the gun. 

(4) same talking point as 2.

New point (A) I discuss a prior event because it is important. See (2).
New point (B) wording is VERY important. people say what they mean.  Do not try and obfuscate that your wording is not important. it is.
New point © is my response kind of prejudiced? perhaps. but it is worth noting that I am reviewing based on everything you have said in your staff app, the way you carry yourself in discord (recently you were muted by an admin; I was there to witness it), and any prior listings/mentions of you in the community. So yes. Perhaps one could label this "bias" or "prejudice". I would argue that I am simply using past and present data to drive a decision in the present. Is that biased? perhaps. people change. But the fact that you received a prior ban PLUS the fact that you recently received a discord mute from an admin tells me alot. 
New point (D) do I dislike you? eh, not really? I mean, you aren't a bad guy, y'know. simply, I disagree with how you handle/tackle challenges, how you carry yourself, and how you are quick to sus. That is what I object to in this staff app, not you as a human being.

I personally don't think you are ready for staffing prophunt, for the stated reasons, explanations, and counterpoints.

people are free to vote as the please. but these are my opinions.
Incepimus, Nunc et semper.
This means that "we begin, now and forever", and translates as "always we begin again"
What this actually means is that we should always strive to better ourselves, because tomorrow is a new day.
I hope you take it to heart. Remember, an improvement, no matter how small, is improvement.

BIIG_SAD
(07-31-2023, 01:18 AM)BIIG_SAD Wrote: -snip-
to explain further:
(1) you said: "
Because I like seeing cheaters cry, mainly. Staff already know I'm quite vigilant. I also want to have more direct input in improving PH." you told me this yourself in your app. you seek to punish, and that is the least desirable outcome for this server. Ideally, we would only have to remove problems once in a blue moon. Additionally, this conveys a lot about your attitude and stance about staffing. to you, it seems like staffing serves the role of a punisher; to punish people. It is not. the main goal of a staff member is to (a) be a pillar of the community that people can get advice about and (b) help keep the server as a nice place

(2) it is true, your discord ban was/is old. However, it is not the age of the ban, but the topic that is concerning to me and likely others. so no, it is not something to say "calm down" over. 
(see: situation 10; Prop hunt rule guidelines). We take matters like the topic that you got banned for talking about very seriously. a previous ban on that topic is generally something to talk about seriously. It is not, in fact, something to be blaise' / laissez-faire about. Honestly, your attitude about it could sour people. Instead of adressing a concern about that topic seriously, you downplay it as if it were not a bad thing. Spoiler: its a bad thing. Time doesnt really fix that stuff.
also you have to understand that not all the staff know you all that well in terms of prophunt. So the only litmus test we can use is to see how you have behaved in prior. when picking staff, we take a lot of steps to ensure that the staff we pick are not only good at staffing, but can be pillars of the community in a positive fashion. behaviors like getting banned, and in recent, activities like getting muted by an admin (recent event), tend to make the data-driven amongst us look at people in a certain fashion.

(3) by overbearing, I meant overall behavior. also, dont be quick to sus. that's literally not how staffing works. to quote what another staff taught me: "if you solve your problems with a hammer, everything will look like a nail". In other words, don't be hasty to jump the gun. 

(4) same talking point as 2.

New point (A) I discuss a prior event because it is important. See (2).
New point (B) wording is VERY important. people say what they mean.  Do not try and obfuscate that your wording is not important. it is.
New point © is my response kind of prejudiced? perhaps. but it is worth noting that I am reviewing based on everything you have said in your staff app, the way you carry yourself in discord (recently you were muted by an admin; I was there to witness it), and any prior listings/mentions of you in the community. So yes. Perhaps one could label this "bias" or "prejudice". I would argue that I am simply using past and present data to drive a decision in the present. Is that biased? perhaps. people change. But the fact that you received a prior ban PLUS the fact that you recently received a discord mute from an admin tells me alot. 
New point (D) do I dislike you? eh, not really? I mean, you aren't a bad guy, y'know. simply, I disagree with how you handle/tackle challenges, how you carry yourself, and how you are quick to sus. That is what I object to in this staff app, not you as a human being.

I personally don't think you are ready for staffing prophunt, for the stated reasons, explanations, and counterpoints.

people are free to vote as the please. but these are my opinions.

Yeah a lot of staff didn't agree with that ban in the first place. Reina pardoned it immediately without so much as a forum post. Just Jammin being ridiculous. Could have been solved with a warn and an explanation. Time very much fixes that. It's a "serious" thing because you are living under the great eye of Discord, so we want to stay as far away as possible from that subject. When I said that two years ago I wasn't exactly thinking of your reputation with the Discord employees.
Do I know not to even mention that topic in passing now? Absolutely.

And removing problems is what keeps PH good. I don't think we should be shying away from that, because that's a big part of what you do. People do game nights, answer questions about how the game and community works, but most often, they bring down the mighty hammer upon the troublesome nail.

I don't like you being a pedant about my wording. You are reading far too into it. I'm not really happy with a decision being made on my staff application based on a data-driven psychoanalysis of a lighthearted joke consisting of a six word sentence. Having some edgy humor in my posts is what I do and I don't really feel like I need to write a proofread cover letter fit for a job at the CIA to be first rank trial staff on a prophunt server.

You want to see how I operate in practice? It's already there. I do what I can in the PH server as a donor and do my best to follow the best practices like warning > round gag > map gag, that sort of thing. I think the fact that I haven't been stripped of my donor rank or had someone posting in the forums about donor abuse is proof enough that your data driven analysis isn't really data driven at all.

You all want me to be more active in the forums? That's fine. I liked Birb's post. It was fair and gave me tips to improve. Give it time and some active participation in the forums. It's positive and encouraging. I do not like your assessment that holds past pardoned mistakes from two years ago over my head like insurance looking at speeding tickets. So yeah, none too pleased with that and makes me think you don't like to me to treat that as an error I cannot recover from.
Hello Lamb!

After seeing your activity on the Discord i saw nothing but you giving the mods a bad time and not doing anything helpful basically just complaining, And i haven't played with you that much but after seeing why you ping staff on Discord made me think that you don't know how to catch ghosters/hackers, i don't see any activity on the forums, or any ban request (Not a requirement but it helps to boost a bit), With you saying "Because I like seeing cheaters cry" Is good but rather a bad mindset since that indicates that you'll be power hungry when you get the rank, -1 From me, That doesn't mean its all over, Try to improve yourself, its not all over YET
[Image: 800px-BLU_Products_Logo.jpg]
Hi Lamb. I’m going to warn you that I’m going to be brutally honest. I don’t do it to be mean, I’m doing to face the problem head-on to show you what you need to work on.

To be blunt, I do not support your staff app for a few reasons.

First, I think you’re doing this more as a selfish reason. You want the power, you want the status, and I believe this because when you came back to the community you had this air of entitlement as if this community owed you something. It didn’t, but I believe you think it does.

Second, you complain CONSTANTLY. It’s to the point where I personally had to mute you on discord because you just wouldn’t stop despite being told multiple times to chill out. As of me writing this response, this happened four days ago. You do have a discord ban on record as well, but you correctly acknowledged this was a while ago. While I was definitely present for that incident, due to how much time has passed, it does not hold any real weight to me so consider that ignored right now.

Lastly, it’s just your general attitude. I touched on it a little in the last couple points, but overall you do not carry yourself like a staff member. There isn’t a real sense of maturity that I can see that tells me “yeah he’ll be alright as a staff member.” You also jump to conclusions VERY quickly, without really investigating or putting much thought into it. The most recent example is what the others had already talk about, when you assumed someone was ghosting with only 3 kills in 3 rounds. Had you thought about it and looked into it, there was not enough there to support any real sus of ghosting, let along a ping for staff.

Overall, I just don’t think you’re anywhere near ready for us to allow you into the team. Now ultimately it’s the call of the PH Admins, but I recommend that you wait, work on yourself and get better, and come back at a later time and we’ll see if you’re ready.

I was helping you out to at least get the ball rolling on this and was planning to read the room after this was posted to get the perspectives. The concerns brought up here are all very valid concerns, though I will say given them I believe you do have room to grow. Most, if not all, of the interactions I can think of I’ve personally had with you have been positive, and I think that you can learn and grow from the feedback given. But to do that you also need to consider the feedback, I understand a level of standing your ground but when the feedback is related to factual events and evidence it’s important to be a good listener to it. Due to this, I will remain a +0 since I can’t go much off of anything but my own interactions and taking the concerns into consideration.
[Image: frieren-fall-winter.jpeg]