Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cut out the middleman
(01-15-2024, 03:06 PM)BillyBob Wrote: doesnt enforce the rules hard
this doesn't really inspire confidence considering one of the roles of staff is to enforce the rules
[Image: gBkzZod.png]
please take into consideration the fact that he called me a dweeb and killed me in lethal company (completely unprovoked) when editing your votes to -1's.
(01-19-2024, 10:51 AM)tiefling lesbian Wrote:
(01-15-2024, 03:06 PM)BillyBob Wrote: doesnt enforce the rules hard
this doesn't really inspire confidence considering one of the roles of staff is to enforce the rules
I think it actually inspires more confidence. "Doesnt enforce the rules hard"

Syn acclimates his staffing style to fit the atmosphere of the server. He makes sure its always a fun place to play and makes sure its safe for everyone. Staffing shouldn't be a "one size fits all." Not every minor rule break needs to be enforced hard and to the letter of the law. Isn't that what staff discretion is for?
(01-19-2024, 11:20 AM)RyanHighman Wrote: I think it actually inspires more confidence. "Doesnt enforce the rules hard"

Syn acclimates his staffing style to fit the atmosphere of the server. He makes sure its always a fun place to play and makes sure its safe for everyone. Staffing shouldn't be a "one size fits all." Not every minor rule break needs to be enforced hard and to the letter of the law. Isn't that what staff discretion is for?
While some rules do have a degree of flexibility depending on the environment of the server, they are still rules and should be enforced as such. The low severity of minor rule breaks are already accounted for in the proportionally low severity of the punishments, and repeat offenders are harder to identify if their rule breaking is being overlooked as incidentally too minor to enforce.
(01-19-2024, 12:01 PM)tiefling lesbian Wrote: While some rules do have a degree of flexibility depending on the environment of the server, they are still rules and should be enforced as such. The low severity of minor rule breaks are already accounted for in the proportionally low severity of the punishments, and repeat offenders are harder to identify if their rule breaking is being overlooked as incidentally too minor to enforce.
While I agree that it can be a difficult task to vary the severity of enforcement. I think syn does it exceptionally well. He doesnt ignore rule breakers, but knows when to educate them about some of the more "niche" rules in the book. One of the best examples of this is how it is RDM to kill someone for a valid kill, even if the victim was Innocent. This is not very common across TTT, but rather than just add a slay, I've also witnessed syn take the time to explain the rules and deescalate the situation. Teaching the rules is just as important as enforcing them.

I very much agree that habitual rule breakers should be punished in a documented way, but that isnt always the case for first time players. Its pretty easy, however, to pick out who does this maliciously and when a rule is broken by mistake. Enforcing rules because they are rules isn't a way to keep new players coming back and having an enjoyable experience. If not for this reason, what is the staff team for?
(01-19-2024, 12:01 PM)tiefling lesbian Wrote:
(01-19-2024, 11:20 AM)RyanHighman Wrote: I think it actually inspires more confidence. "Doesnt enforce the rules hard"

Syn acclimates his staffing style to fit the atmosphere of the server. He makes sure its always a fun place to play and makes sure its safe for everyone. Staffing shouldn't be a "one size fits all." Not every minor rule break needs to be enforced hard and to the letter of the law. Isn't that what staff discretion is for?
While some rules do have a degree of flexibility depending on the environment of the server, they are still rules and should be enforced as such. The low severity of minor rule breaks are already accounted for in the proportionally low severity of the punishments, and repeat offenders are harder to identify if their rule breaking is being overlooked as incidentally too minor to enforce.
I disagree, my style of staffing is my own and I enjoy it, I get to have fun and only the bad players who don’t feel like playing hate me. I have taken a great deal of time and effort to develope my style of staffing in such a manner that I have players I barely talk to outside of TTT coming to my app to express their support for me to become a moderator. This tells me that I have done well and encourages me to further help the server. But if you intend to keep this mentality of “rules are rules” I refuse to be a meter maid handing out tickets to meet a quota. If you intend to further belittle me and ignore anything I suggest as an admin tell me now so I can resign.
Syn’s staffing style is quite literally the ideal type. You have people that don’t do anything and are TOO laxxed and then you have people who punish over every minuscule thing. He is smack in the middle of that. Lets people have their fun, but when it is time to cut the shit he steps in. I have hardly interacted with Syn on a personal level, but he is one of the better staff I’ve seen in the last 2 years.
(01-19-2024, 11:16 AM)reina Wrote: please take into consideration the fact that he called me a dweeb and killed me in lethal company (completely unprovoked) when editing your votes to -1's.
[Image: IMG_5172.png?ex=65bd2a6c&is=65aab56c&hm=...38a455b3a&]
This you?
(01-19-2024, 12:32 PM)syn Wrote: I disagree, my style of staffing is my own and I enjoy it, I get to have fun and only the bad players who don’t feel like playing hate me. I have taken a great deal of time and effort to develope my style of staffing in such a manner that I have players I barely talk to outside of TTT coming to my app to express their support for me to become a moderator. This tells me that I have done well and encourages me to further help the server. But if you intend to keep this mentality of “rules are rules” I refuse to be a meter maid handing out tickets to meet a quota. If you intend to further belittle me and ignore anything I suggest as an admin tell me now so I can resign.
I'm... not really sure what exactly you're disagreeing with, or where the sudden hostility is coming from. I don't know in what way I've belittled you or what suggestions I've ignored, but it wasn't my intention. My concern was with feedback that was given on your application and how it was framed.
(01-19-2024, 12:32 PM)syn Wrote: I disagree, my style of staffing is my own and I enjoy it, I get to have fun and only the bad players who don’t feel like playing hate me. I have taken a great deal of time and effort to develope my style of staffing in such a manner that I have players I barely talk to outside of TTT coming to my app to express their support for me to become a moderator. This tells me that I have done well and encourages me to further help the server. But if you intend to keep this mentality of “rules are rules” I refuse to be a meter maid handing out tickets to meet a quota. If you intend to further belittle me and ignore anything I suggest as an admin tell me now so I can resign.

i don't think that all praise a person receives means that they've done well. there's respect for decisions you've made that someone has both liked and disliked, and then there's gratitude for decisions you've made that someone has liked. it sounds like you've made the decision to not follow guidelines and to instead create your own personal method of staffing in place of the one you agreed to use when you applied, which cannot be considered handling your responsibilities well. this decision to create your own version of staffing has led to a lot of gratitude for not issuing punishments often, which has in turn led to a lot of praise. i think this goes far beyond staff discretion. staff discretion is a totally acceptable thing, but giving an ultimatum when you're told that it's important to follow the guidelines is not something i would consider acceptable.