Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cut out the middleman
+1 Syn is pretty chill, yes he has his own way of staffing but he is effective at reading the room in terms of server atmosphere and the server audience in the moment.
[Image: Nicol_dumb.jpg]
Nothing happened here.
I think it might be a good idea to take a step back and remember that at the end of the day, this is about a video game. Moderation is a means to an end, of which is creating an environment that is enjoyable to spend time in. I don't think anybody finds it fun to argue back and forth about the minutia of rules and punishments. I do think there is a balance to be had between enforcing the rules like a machine, and outright not enforcing them. Remember that players (and staff) are people too, and there should be some degree of flexibility depending on circumstances.
Something I notice when coming back is the way the rules are enforced heavily varied between staff members. The rules are there to give staff a baseline and deal with situations. Syn doesnt "not" enforce the rules he just does it differently then how others too whcih is totally fine. We have them so when things get out of hand and go down Syn does his job and very well. The thing that makes syn great is the way everyone has a good time (minus trying to kill him because he scripts smh!) and he helps foster a good environment while on the server and as staff thats the best thing I believe they can do so new players will keep coming back and want to be apart of the community. Just my input on everything.
(01-19-2024, 12:01 PM)tiefling lesbian Wrote:
(01-19-2024, 11:20 AM)RyanHighman Wrote: I think it actually inspires more confidence. "Doesnt enforce the rules hard"

Syn acclimates his staffing style to fit the atmosphere of the server. He makes sure its always a fun place to play and makes sure its safe for everyone. Staffing shouldn't be a "one size fits all." Not every minor rule break needs to be enforced hard and to the letter of the law. Isn't that what staff discretion is for?
While some rules do have a degree of flexibility depending on the environment of the server, they are still rules and should be enforced as such. The low severity of minor rule breaks are already accounted for in the proportionally low severity of the punishments, and repeat offenders are harder to identify if their rule breaking is being overlooked as incidentally too minor to enforce.
it quite literally is not that deep

Syn does a good job of not being overbearing and actually has fun while he plays as well as encouraging fun for others whilst *also* maintaining a safe and non toxic environment.

+1 for yeat man
We're just a giant ass
Cheeks are made of children
Old was just a fad
Shit on all the billions
I’m at work so I will not be able to fully respond but here’s the short version: my staffing style is not defying all guidelines and doing my own thing, it is simply just me playing relaxed and deescalating situations instead of warning instantly to create a fun environment. I follow the guidelines for all of my warns and will warn anyone who is rule breaking BUT I do give people breaks, kids that leave their mic I’ll simply ask them to shut it off, but I do so in a way that doesn’t make me sound like I’m ordering them. On the flip side i will never give people a chance/verbal warning for slurs or any of the more serious issues. The ONLY exception I’ve given to this is guiding conversation away from topics like Epstein which in itself is talk about a subject according to the guidelines is not to be discussed under any means. But instead of immediately jumping to warning every single player involved in the conversation I simply explain that this is not a subject we discuss in general and persuade the server onto different topics which works leagues better for keeping the peace.

(01-19-2024, 02:08 PM)syn Wrote: I’m at work so I will not be able to fully respond but here’s the short version: my staffing style is not defying all guidelines and doing my own thing, it is simply just me playing relaxed and deescalating situations instead of warning instantly to create a fun environment. I follow the guidelines for all of my warns and will warn anyone who is rule breaking BUT I do give people breaks, kids that leave their mic I’ll simply ask them to shut it off, but I do so in a way that doesn’t make me sound like I’m ordering them. On the flip side i will never give people a chance/verbal warning for slurs or any of the more serious issues. The ONLY exception I’ve given to this is guiding conversation away from topics like Epstein which in itself is talk about a subject according to the guidelines is not to be discussed under any means. But instead of immediately jumping to warning every single player involved in the conversation I simply explain that this is not a subject we discuss in general and persuade the server onto different topics which works leagues better for keeping the peace.
Using this style of communication and deescalation I have found a wayyyyyy more positive response when I enforce rules because the vast majority of regulars know I don’t excessively warn and therefore respect my requests about subject changes etc
(01-19-2024, 12:48 PM)tiefling lesbian Wrote:
(01-19-2024, 12:32 PM)syn Wrote: I disagree, my style of staffing is my own and I enjoy it, I get to have fun and only the bad players who don’t feel like playing hate me. I have taken a great deal of time and effort to develope my style of staffing in such a manner that I have players I barely talk to outside of TTT coming to my app to express their support for me to become a moderator. This tells me that I have done well and encourages me to further help the server. But if you intend to keep this mentality of “rules are rules” I refuse to be a meter maid handing out tickets to meet a quota. If you intend to further belittle me and ignore anything I suggest as an admin tell me now so I can resign.
I'm... not really sure what exactly you're disagreeing with, or where the sudden hostility is coming from. I don't know in what way I've belittled you or what suggestions I've ignored, but it wasn't my intention. My concern was with feedback that was given on your application and how it was framed.
I am not angry and apologize if that sounded hostile, I won’t go into detail here  because there is no gain and most of this was discussed in private chats and does not need to be made public. I simply disagree with needing to warn for everything that fits into a warn. I read the guidelines a lot and stated in the guidelines/asking around on dinkleberg that  staff are permitted discretion to make decisions. I like to communicate with people mostly over mic and explain rules, especially to new players. This helps tremendously with a new players opinion on the server and most times avoids them becoming hostile.
Syn is the perfect blend of serious and chill when staffing. It's the best example of how to staff without being a rule nazi and ruining the ability/fun of other players. Yes, there are other ways to staff and kudo's to however other staff members want to staff cause everyone is different. It just shouldn't be too serious about enforcing the rules 24/7 cause that just takes away the fun in the game. As long as you actually enforce the rules when people don't cut their shit is what counts. He does it spectacularly and is a great example of how to staff, not a staff that is super oppressive or too negligent about it. W for syn's style of staffing.
epic guy
aughhh
[Image: raccoon1_1.jpg?ex=6628fb2c&is=6616862c&h...0080f14e4&]
Syn is someone who I would consider a great fit for moderator and here’s why: whether you agree with his approach or not, he is consistent. One of my favorite things I’ve seen from him is before he starts gagging or assigning points, he takes the time to verbally warn specifically new players to not do something, and then if they do it again he gives a punishment. He’s well-respected, doesn’t seem to take himself too seriously, and also isn’t afraid to say what is on his mind.

To piggyback off hoy, not all situations are black and white and that’s why the team is allowed to have staff discretion when dealing with situations on server.

+1 from me. Best of luck to you, syn.
smh my head
Syn's way of doing things is a great example that you should always try to understand the person you're talking to on the other end of monitor , he understands and is patient with people on less serious violations of rules, but still is strict on other that can't be forgiven , maybe people who follow the rules to the last detail don't agree but personally I'd prefer a person who explains to me why said thing is wrong or right and not get insta punished without even knowing what was wrong. This makes the server more newbie friendly and gives the feeling of actually a chill and fun environment to play.
Giant +1 from me i hope the best for you.
[Image: crimson.gif]

Carson sweats too much.

[Image: 1V8jMf6.png]