Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Words and their implications
Hello, I'm not the most outstanding member of the community but I feel I am a member of logic
Recently i was told that my name, though i've had it for some time was not allowed due to it being a reference of Anti-Semitic remarks. 
I've never brought my religion into the fold on the game or in the server but due to the conflict in Israel or the nation of Palestine depending on your view, i can understand the tension in the admin staff. Although, if we were to use the implication of my name as a reference to anti-Semitism would we also have to warn, mute and gag anytime somebody would support Palestine, as the nation of Israel has  deemed any support of Palestine as an anti-Semitic remark; unless the staff team deems it different. Bab also pointed out it was specifically judged it to be towards myself and hasn't "been enforced" in two years.

I don't mind not playing on the server, but if you are going to enforce the rules based on implications then the word "nigga" should also be removed, as up until the 1960s it was a racial slur that was then used by the community thanks to Martin Luther king jr and the efforts of his followers. implicating somebody's intention when speaking would also cause a stir and have the staff members spend more time thought policing players instead of actually enjoying the server and playing. Can i just have my name or should i wait for a new staff team lmk have a good one
People were uncomfortable with your name, it's not hard to remove the "Anti-Semetic" part and just keep "Goose" since that's what everyone calls you anyways.
(02-10-2024, 03:17 PM)Antisemetic Goose Wrote: Hello, I'm not the most outstanding member of the community but I feel I am a member of logic
Recently i was told that my name, though i've had it for some time was not allowed due to it being a reference of Anti-Semitic remarks. 
I've never brought my religion into the fold on the game or in the server but due to the conflict in Israel or the nation of Palestine depending on your view, i can understand the tension in the admin staff. Although, if we were to use the implication of my name as a reference to anti-Semitism would we also have to warn, mute and gag anytime somebody would support Palestine, as the nation of Israel has  deemed any support of Palestine as an anti-Semitic remark; unless the staff team deems it different. Bab also pointed out it was specifically judged it to be towards myself and hasn't "been enforced" in two years.

I don't mind not playing on the server, but if you are going to enforce the rules based on implications then the word "nigga" should also be removed, as up until the 1960s it was a racial slur that was then used by the community thanks to Martin Luther king jr and the efforts of his followers. implicating somebody's intention when speaking would also cause a stir and have the staff members spend more time thought policing players instead of actually enjoying the server and playing. Can i just have my name or should i wait for a new staff team lmk have a good one

I am just going to point out, in my time here playing Dinks, I am pretty sure multiple times people have complained about your name, and it was always blown off as "He has had it so long, and was never made to change it, its fine."  Just because a rule wasn't enforced previously for some strange reason doesn't mean it shouldn't be.  Just my commentary.
The decision to have you change your name has nothing to do with political events, but with it making others uncomfortable and setting a precedent for similarly offensive names that we do not want to support. This decision was not targeted at you as an individual beyond you having the name, and from what I was shown of the conversation that is what Bab told you as well.
[Image: gBkzZod.png]
(02-10-2024, 03:19 PM)lacer Wrote: People were uncomfortable with your name, it's not hard to remove the "Anti-Semetic" part and just keep "Goose" since that's what everyone calls you anyways.
i deleted the last post because it seemed petty and a toxic take.  But to have a new staff team get on and say after being in the community for 3 years and having the same name, it is now a problem. What else would i have to change in order to join the game. The principle of the matter is now it is a problem and again i feel the use of the word "implied" is a very scary thought. What else would you "imply" when looking at the community. Should you simply ban community members with previous warns because of the implied logic they will break the rules in the future, based on their behaviors? Should i also change my profile picture because of the "fuck the jews" right above the goose because it will make others uncomfortable.
uhh just cause im lazy what rule is it again..?
[Image: 76561198079899620.png]
Lex
Dad Joke Connoisseur
Vinyl & Blu-Ray Collector Man 
A-1 Saxophonist
Challenger Eve, Cass & Singed Player
Ex-TTT & Discord Moderator
(02-10-2024, 03:28 PM)tiefling lesbian Wrote: The decision to have you change your name has nothing to do with political events, but with it making others uncomfortable and setting a precedent for similarly offensive names that we do not want to support. This decision was not targeted at you as an individual beyond you having the name, and from what I was shown of the conversation that is what Bab told you as well.
I am uncomfortable with others displaying their sexuality, i have not said anything before, but if i were to have others inside the community say the same, would you have to change your name or is it only towards religion. this isn't an attack on your personally, but i am asking if a group feels as though displaying sexuality shouldn't be allowed would the staff team also discuss that as well.
the "antisemitic" part of your name is inherently offensive, it does not take much logic to figure that part out. It's also not hard to change your name to Goose either, so I'm not sure why this is the hill you are choosing to die on. I think it's just time to accept that edgy humor is out of fashion and makes people uncomfortable now my guy.
We're just a giant ass
Cheeks are made of children
Old was just a fad
Shit on all the billions
(02-10-2024, 03:31 PM)Antisemetic Goose Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 03:19 PM)lacer Wrote: People were uncomfortable with your name, it's not hard to remove the "Anti-Semetic" part and just keep "Goose" since that's what everyone calls you anyways.
i deleted the last post because it seemed petty and a toxic take. But to have a new staff team get on and say after being in the community for 3 years and having the same name, it is now a problem. What else would i have to change in order to join the game.

The amount of time you've been here is irrelevant, people are uncomfortable with the name now and that's all there is to it. You've only been told to change your name at this point in time so it's pretty fair to assume that is all you would have to change. Although, given the revelation of your profile pic, I'd assume you're probably going to be told to change that too.

The principle of the matter is now it is a problem and again i feel the use of the word "implied" is a very scary thought. What else would you "imply" when looking at the community. Should you simply ban community members with previous warns because of the implied logic they will break the rules in the future, based on their behaviors?

Epic strawman. 

Should i also change my profile picture because of the "fuck the jews" right above the goose because it will make others uncomfortable.

Probably.
red
(02-10-2024, 03:39 PM)Foxka Wrote: the "antisemitic" part of your name is inherently offensive, it does not take much logic to figure that part out. It's also not hard to change your name to Goose either, so I'm not sure why this is the hill you are choosing to die on. I think it's just time to accept that edgy humor is out of fashion and makes people uncomfortable now my guy.
Overcorrecting for bigotry and racism seems like thought policing to me. This isnt an edgy jokes haha, this is me asking a simple question. Again what rule am i breaking for having my name and also would i have to change my profile picture? also my text hat says "tunnel jews" which is my cs team, would i have to change that?