Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Words and their implications
(02-10-2024, 03:39 PM)Antisemetic Goose Wrote: I am uncomfortable with others displaying their sexuality, i have not said anything before, but if i were to have others inside the community say the same, would you have to change your name or is it only towards religion. this isn't an attack on your personally, but i am asking if a group feels as though displaying sexuality shouldn't be allowed would the staff team also discuss that as well.
You know as well as I do that that could not be more of a false equivalence. You are not displaying your religion, you are using antisemitism as a punchline, and it makes others uncomfortable. If your name was "Jewish Goose", there would be no problem.

(02-10-2024, 03:31 PM)Antisemetic Goose Wrote: Should i also change my profile picture because of the "fuck the jews" right above the goose because it will make others uncomfortable.
Yes, you should.
[Image: gBkzZod.png]
(02-10-2024, 03:51 PM)tiefling lesbian Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 03:39 PM)Antisemetic Goose Wrote: I am uncomfortable with others displaying their sexuality, i have not said anything before, but if i were to have others inside the community say the same, would you have to change your name or is it only towards religion. this isn't an attack on your personally, but i am asking if a group feels as though displaying sexuality shouldn't be allowed would the staff team also discuss that as well.
You know as well as I do that that could not be more of a false equivalence. You are not displaying your religion, you are using antisemitism as a punchline, and it makes others uncomfortable. If your name was "Jewish Goose", there would be no problem.

(02-10-2024, 03:31 PM)Antisemetic Goose Wrote: Should i also change my profile picture because of the "fuck the jews" right above the goose because it will make others uncomfortable.
Yes, you should.
How many jewish people are on the server? Speaking as a jew
i stopped being lazy, i found the rules that could be violated since you guys are too slow >:(

[Image: ac9e547bac302dbd0319acfa4139190a.png]
[Image: 04d24f6aa8fd561f6b79d9a9bec72a91.png]

well looks to me like its not directed towards anyone... so that means it is under 'staff discretion'. Ight. Cool... but, and this is just me playing devil's advocate here to clarify everything for everyone, would the name Bigoted Goose also be banned? 

my personal opinion is its not inherently anti-Semitic. especially considering the very small jewish population of dinks includes this fella... But if it made someone uncomfortable, that's a bummer, but I think there's a bit more nuance here than just 'change your name'. end of the day, i'm not jewish its not my place.
[Image: 76561198079899620.png]
Lex
Dad Joke Connoisseur
Vinyl & Blu-Ray Collector Man 
A-1 Saxophonist
Challenger Eve, Cass & Singed Player
Ex-TTT & Discord Moderator
(02-10-2024, 03:17 PM)Antisemetic Goose Wrote:  Bab also pointed out it was specifically judged it to be towards myself and hasn't "been enforced" in two years.
[Image: image.png?ex=65da51b9&is=65c7dcb9&hm=af7...40e587fa&=]

[Image: image.png?ex=65da51b9&is=65c7dcb9&hm=df7...834f83528&]

I explained to you very clearly why the team has decided to tell you to change your name during our discussion, the rule for this being "Racism, sexism, or derogatory language is NOT tolerated here on Dinks. This includes Anti-Semitism, Homophobia, and Transphobia." which is stated in the staff guidelines.

People have shown discomfort with the name, and as stated before, it sets a bad precedent of what is allowed to slide on the server. It is truly not impossible to just change your name while you're on the server, and I am completely unsure of why you're deciding to dig yourself deeper.
[Image: ac7pbrI.png]
- courtesy of coco <333
(02-10-2024, 03:56 PM)bab Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 03:17 PM)Antisemetic Goose Wrote:  Bab also pointed out it was specifically judged it to be towards myself and hasn't "been enforced" in two years.

I explained to you very clearly why the team has decided to tell you to change your name during our discussion, the rule for this being "Racism, sexism, or derogatory language is NOT tolerated here on Dinks. This includes Anti-Semitism, Homophobia, and Transphobia." which is stated in the staff guidelines.

People have shown discomfort with the name, and as stated before, it sets a bad precedent of what is allowed to slide on the server. It is truly not impossible to just change your name while you're on the server, and I am completely unsure of why you're deciding to dig yourself deeper.
Okay again perhaps i am not converying my point correctly and i will use the rule itself to explain. 
Tiefling lesbian is openly conveying sexuality and if i were to comment towards her in a negative connotation that would be homophobia and anti-lgtbq language, as i am implying i am attacking her(if that isnt your pronoun i apologize) based on homophobia. 
I came up with the name because i had a pet goose that always attacked my yamaka as an anecdote, this isn't a punchline. You're asking me to change my name based on the opinion of a few who are uncomfortable.
(02-10-2024, 04:10 PM)Antisemetic Goose Wrote:

Okay again perhaps i am not converying my point correctly and i will use the rule itself to explain. 
Tiefling lesbian is openly conveying sexuality and if i were to comment towards her in a negative connotation that would be homophobia and anti-lgtbq language, as i am implying i am attacking her(if that isnt your pronoun i apologize) based on homophobia. 
I came up with the name because i had a pet goose that always attacked my yamaka as an anecdote, this isn't a punchline. You're asking me to change my name based on the opinion of a few who are uncomfortable.
The problem with your argument is sexuality isn't an inherently offensive thing unless you are living in the 60s. Antisemitism is. Changing your name and profile picture to remove the antisemitism from it, whether it be a joke or not, isn't that difficult.

having a sexuality as a name is not the same as acting sexually towards other players, this is a false equivalence and not helping your point. I understand you may have connections to your name as a childhood thing and are Jewish yourself but that does not give you the right to make people uncomfortable with your personal experiences. I could make comparisons to other names that would not be allowed with similar reasoning but that just wouldn't change the fact that it's causing issues. Using buzzwords like "thought policing" just shows that you have no sound logic to why you should *not* have to change your name.

I like you goose, but come on man this is just being silly now.
We're just a giant ass
Cheeks are made of children
Old was just a fad
Shit on all the billions
(02-10-2024, 03:17 PM)Antisemetic Goose Wrote:  

As Tiefling stated before, there would be no issue with "Jewish Goose". I do not know why you're so bent on her name including her sexuality, antisemitism is inherently prejudiced and discriminatory whereas stating your sexuality is not. The rules do outline antisemitism as not allowed, so yes, the name making people uncomfortable is all the more reason to enforce that rule here, regardless of why it is your name or how few members of the community are Jewish.

I would also like to point out that yes, the saying in your profile picture doesn't help your case either.
[Image: ac7pbrI.png]
- courtesy of coco <333
(02-10-2024, 04:16 PM)Foxka Wrote:

having a sexuality as a name is not the same as acting sexually towards other players, this is a false equivalence and not helping your point. I understand you may have connections to your name as a childhood thing and are Jewish yourself but that does not give you the right to make people uncomfortable with your personal experiences. I could make comparisons to other names that would not be allowed with similar reasoning but that just wouldn't change the fact that it's causing issues. Using buzzwords like "thought policing" just shows that you have no sound logic to why you should *not* have to change your name.

I like you goose, but come on man this is just being silly now.
Having antisemetic in my name is not being antisemetic towards others. The idea of anti-Semitism is not descripting towards others
if i were to call tiefling a lesbian, could she not bring me into the forums for homophobia? in a negative connotation
(02-10-2024, 03:53 PM)Antisemetic Goose Wrote:
(02-10-2024, 03:51 PM)tiefling lesbian Wrote:

Yes, you should.
How many jewish people are on the server? Speaking as a jew
Speaking as a Jew. I am a Jew. Yes, the "Antisemitic" part of your name is offensive. Our rules as a community, and even as staff members has changed drastically over the years. The world and its views has changed over the years. Some have changed for the better and others for the worse, but saying that just because you are a Jew gives you special privileges to call yourself "Antisemitic" and make jokes against Jews is like a Caucasian calling themselves a cracker, or other terms. The same goes for others of other ethnicities. As a Jew, I still wouldn't say antisemitic jokes or make fun of the Holocaust, or the religion, etc.
[Image: Nicol_dumb.jpg]
Nothing happened here.