Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playername rule amendment
Amend the miscellaneous rule below:

Have a name that is pronounceable, readable and typable in english ASCII  characters. Do not have a name similar to any other players.

To:

Have a name that is pronounceable, readable and typable in english ASCII  characters. Do not have a name similar to any other players. The player with longer server playtime will be offered priority on names, unless the name is directly to impersonate another player.

Feel free to reword it, but something should be added to stop people with insane playtimes from abusing this rule to steal/impersonate, if the rule does go off of playtime.
Current guidelines rule for more context:
Invalid Names:
In order to have a valid name on our server, it must contain three consecutive English characters and be pronounceable. We do this so it is easier for players to understand and pronounce as well as making it easier for staff to issue chat commands. Examples: “ ” (or blank name), ニコラス, etc. Use common sense here, if it doesn’t have 3 English characters or isn’t pronounceable, tell them to change it. Exceptions may be made for 2 letter names that can be easily pronounced (eg AO, AE and FX).

Furthermore, players’ names must be distinguishable from each other. If a player changes their name to closely resemble or copy another player’s name, tell them to change it. If someone is impersonating another player with malicious intent, follow the guidelines for trolling or harassment depending on severity. This rule does not need to be strictly enforced for names that are similar merely by coincidence so long as the names are still distinct from one another. If necessary, ask the player that connected most recently to change their name temporarily.
It is not okay to literally tell people their opinions are wrong because they disagree.
In my opinion, it's not fair to play on a server for hours and then suddenly be told you have to change your name because someone with the same name connected way after you even though you've been using that name for years. I get that it's frustrating if someone can't use their regular name because a guest joined first, but this feels like the less unfair of the two options.
Again, just my opinion, which doesn't necessarily mean things can't be changed.
[Image: gBkzZod.png]
It's unfair for both sides, it just comes down to personal opinion. Tbh, I think staff should always have priority while regular ranks follow the rule we have now.
former admin2
Tiefs right, it's definitely the less unfair of the two for the most recently connected player to join. Plus just catering to people with more playtime over something that innocuous would make a new player more likely to not want to play again than it would for an old player.

But I'm someone who changes my name to every thought that pops into my head
[Image: TWQlDjL.png] 
-courtesy of a sarcastic fish

[Image: t2X0SiD.png]
-courtesy of milk(2)
First come first serve or propkill for it

The sun smiles at you with eternal malice
I think if you are joining with a common enough name that you come close to sharing with others, you run that risk.
I've played with like 4-5 Adams before, 3 Nick's, but never have seen another Jammin.
If you have a common enough name then whoever was there first gets to keep it.
[Image: dan_ceebeast_gif.gif]

Discord Admin - April 2021 - March 2023
TTT Moderator - February 2021 - March 2023
Join our discord: discord.gg/dinks
(03-21-2024, 12:02 AM)tiefling lesbian Wrote: In my opinion, it's not fair to play on a server for hours and then suddenly be told you have to change your name because someone with the same name connected way after you even though you've been using that name for years. I get that it's frustrating if someone can't use their regular name because a guest joined first, but this feels like the less unfair of the two options.
Again, just my opinion, which doesn't necessarily mean things can't be changed.
Also to clarify my opinion a bit, this would not apply if one player had only recently changed their name to it after playing on the server and knowing someone uses that name, but in this case both players have had the name for years
[Image: gBkzZod.png]
All I know is that if someone else joins with the name dong for some reason… I am NOT changing my name (100 emoji) I’ve used it here for 7 years!!! They can eat my shorts!!!
(03-21-2024, 09:47 AM)dong Wrote: All I know is that if someone else joins with the name dong for some reason… I am NOT changing my name (100 emoji) I’ve used it here for 7 years!!! They can eat my shorts!!!
So if I change my name to dong I get a free meal? Bet.
[Image: TWQlDjL.png] 
-courtesy of a sarcastic fish

[Image: t2X0SiD.png]
-courtesy of milk(2)