Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playername rule amendment
(03-21-2024, 02:40 PM)nico Wrote: maybe it wouldnt be a big deal if your name wasnt a common noun like "snow". perhaps make your name supersnow2014abcdefg next time

Okay "Nico" xD
(03-21-2024, 05:27 PM)Snow (3) Wrote:
(03-21-2024, 02:40 PM)nico Wrote: maybe it wouldnt be a big deal if your name wasnt a common noun like "snow". perhaps make your name supersnow2014abcdefg next time

Okay "Nico" xD
bro doesnt understand the difference between simple and overused
i like my name
Every service ever just gives the username on a first come first serve basis, so if a long term community member already has the name the newer player should have to change theirs.
To me this is a fairly cut and dry issue, albeit I am in a semi biased position here. 

There is no reason to not favor established and respected community members who have dedicated their time and effort into being a positive influence. People who have cultivated friendships and made other community members laugh and overall just have a nice experience. 

I understand the desire to not want to appear biased and dissuade activity from new players, but you can't have a good/healthy community without some bias towards those who have been loyal to your community for so long. 

Especially someone who is active on several platforms across your community.

Justice for the REAL Hot Pocket
Thunderdome it, have them both keep the same name and if one gets KOSed kill both of them.

Just kidding, I am in agreement that rank and playtime should be deciding factors here. No way is ideal, but it’s still better to make a guest sad and possibly leave than risk a longtime community player not wanting to be around. That’s not to say the real Hot Pocket would do that over this, but more as a general rule. And while donation alone isn’t a factor, it’s better to have someone who actively donates to have the ability to keep a name over a guest- but even if she were Regular rank it would still apply
[Image: frieren-fall-winter.jpeg]
I think I've somewhat flipped sides on this. I, somewhat uniquely, have about 8000 backup names if mine is taken so my perspective was a bit skewed since I don't care much. It's not ideal either way, but perhaps at least asking the guest first would be best. Probably asking both privately, then just explaining to the guest if neither will change. I'd wager most people would actually be pretty cordial, albeit downtrodden, about it, and if someone throws a fit...that says a lot.
[Image: TWQlDjL.png] 
-courtesy of a sarcastic fish

[Image: t2X0SiD.png]
-courtesy of milk(2)
My opinion has changed somewhat on this and I'm open to changing things, but I'm not really sure what the best way to implement it would be. I don't want to leave it too open ended lest it leave room for accusations of favoritism, there should be some sort of standard to follow that we can point to when explaining why someone has to change their name.

Let me pose a hypothetical: player A and player B both have the same name that they've been using for the same amount of time. Player A is a regular in the community for a year and everyone in the community knows them by that name, then they take a break from the server for a while. In that time, player B joins and becomes a regular in the community for let's say 6 months, and now everyone in the community knows them by that name. Player A then comes back to the community and joins the server while player B is on. Who gets to keep their name? Do we prioritize seniority and tell player B that they have to change their name despite using it for the past 6 months, or do we prioritize activity and tell player A they have to change their name despite being in the community first?

Furthermore, at what point do we tell someone to change their name? Do we tell them as soon as they join that someone else already uses their name and they have to change it, or do we wait until they've been on the server for 3 hours and then tell them they suddenly have to change it when another player joins with their name? Do they have to choose a whole new name for this server, or can they keep playing hot potato with it while becoming a regular?
[Image: gBkzZod.png]
I wonder if there is a way for our server to have an addon that adds a failsafe for this type of issue. An idea that could be explored is an addon that can add a differential based on two same names. This could be something that looks at who joined on the server first based on the session. The idea would be if someone named bryanbrr joined the server and then another person named bryanbrr joined the server 5 minutes later, the server would automatically update their name to something like bryanbrralpha. This way the names are different and can be targetted differently. Preference then isn't established by hours played on the server and would be based on who joined the server first in the session.

This is an idea with no concept of how it would be added but an idea for people of the same name. (Though this is more a niche issue tbh)
[Image: Bry-Donor-2.gif]
(03-23-2024, 01:51 PM)bryanbrr Wrote: I wonder if there is a way for our server to have an addon that adds a failsafe for this type of issue. An idea that could be explored is an addon that can add a differential based on two same names. This could be something that looks at who joined on the server first based on the session. The idea would be if someone named bryanbrr joined the server and then another person named bryanbrr joined the server 5 minutes later, the server would automatically update their name to something like bryanbrralpha. This way the names are different and can be targetted differently. Preference then isn't established by hours played on the server and would be based on who joined the server first in the session.

This is an idea with no concept of how it would be added but an idea for people of the same name. (Though this is more a niche issue tbh)
I haven't been able to find anything that does this automatically but I'm testing an addon that lets you change players' names manually
[Image: gBkzZod.png]