Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion Sunday: Don't Remove the Knife
I, as many other people, dislike the knife a lot. I think it's a lame weapon to use and something that I have probably purchased maybe a handful of times in the years I've played TTT. 

However,

New players come on this server expecting a knife. If you have every browsed through the various TTT servers, a frequent thing you will notice is servers having in their title "1 hit knife." 

People expect a knife on the server and desire for it to generally be a 1 hit kill weapon. 

I actually have an anecdote that helps back this up. Maybe like a year ago the server was screwing up and the knife was no longer killing in one hit. Instead, it took two swipes to kill someone. Naturally, this made it very difficult to kill someone. One swipe on someones back did 50 dmg, not killing them and instead quickly alerting them to danger. They could quickly turn around and blast the person away as the knife took time to recharge for another hit. With our extra health boosts with chickens, wins, and soda pop, the knife might even turn into a 3 hit kill. 

People were very upset about this and reasonably so. The knife is a mainstay on nearly all TTT servers and it is something that people expect. Some of the guests on the server even left after seeing the uselessness of the knife. Not a good situation. 

I dislike the knife, I do. Removing it, however, is the not solution that some of you think though. Adding in another 1 hit kill weapon, like the dancing gun (which I think is pretty cool btw) doesn't resolve the issue either. It's also a 1 hit kill weapon and is also rather easy to kill someone with.

This is becoming a run-on thread, but I'd also like to note that the knife isn't a guaranteed kill either. I've killed plenty of traitors that have whipped one out on me, thus saving myself. I'd say I have a 70-80% knife survival rate. 

Anyways, I'd ask that administrators and other players reconsider their desire to see the knife go away based on the effects it might have on getting new players to stay and maintaining player morale.

Thank you,

Prince Nicky
I think the Dance Gun and the Spartan kick are supposed to be potential replacements to the knife, not an addition to the 1 hit kill weapon list. I mean it makes sense since the knife is quick and has a wide spread, isn’t hard to aim, and the harpoon is a teensie but broken.

I kind of disagree with this thread, since I think it will be a good move to replace the knife. It will make our server stand out in my opinion. It will allow new players to explore deeper into our server like “what is this, Ive never seen this before” and then try it.

Idk maybe this is a biased view because I like to explore and create new ways in killing players with T-Weapons.
[Image: Garry_s-Mod-4_27_2019-3_48_35-PM_Trim-_2_.gif]
no
Spartan Kick makes no sense as it has horrible timing, not seen it connect once on anyone.

Watching hani dance in the middle of a crowd is funny though.
[Image: ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett...rbox=false]

Groovy
(02-03-2019, 06:17 PM)Prince Nicky La Flama Blanca Wrote: I, as many other people, dislike the knife a lot. I think it's a lame weapon to use and something that I have probably purchased maybe a handful of times in the years I've played TTT. 

However,

New players come on this server expecting a knife. If you have every browsed through the various TTT servers, a frequent thing you will notice is servers having in their title "1 hit knife." 

People expect a knife on the server and desire for it to generally be a 1 hit kill weapon. 

I actually have an anecdote that helps back this up. Maybe like a year ago the server was screwing up and the knife was no longer killing in one hit. Instead, it took two swipes to kill someone. Naturally, this made it very difficult to kill someone. One swipe on someones back did 50 dmg, not killing them and instead quickly alerting them to danger. They could quickly turn around and blast the person away as the knife took time to recharge for another hit. With our extra health boosts with chickens, wins, and soda pop, the knife might even turn into a 3 hit kill. 

People were very upset about this and reasonably so. The knife is a mainstay on nearly all TTT servers and it is something that people expect. Some of the guests on the server even left after seeing the uselessness of the knife. Not a good situation. 

I dislike the knife, I do. Removing it, however, is the not solution that some of you think though. Adding in another 1 hit kill weapon, like the dancing gun (which I think is pretty cool btw) doesn't resolve the issue either. It's also a 1 hit kill weapon and is also rather easy to kill someone with.

This is becoming a run-on thread, but I'd also like to note that the knife isn't a guaranteed kill either. I've killed plenty of traitors that have whipped one out on me, thus saving myself. I'd say I have a 70-80% knife survival rate. 

Anyways, I'd ask that administrators and other players reconsider their desire to see the knife go away based on the effects it might have on getting new players to stay and maintaining player morale.

Thank you,

Prince Nicky
^
Your higness, you have hit the nail right on it’s head.
Would be a bad move to get rid of the knife.
Greetings, 
Swartsy
i think making the knife do 50 or 75 dmg is a good idea i dont believe it would be smart to remove the knife
[Image: 4kcofo.jpg]thx fish[Image: Salsa_UwU.jpg]
(02-03-2019, 06:48 PM)Mr.Potato Wrote: I think the Dance Gun and the Spartan kick are supposed to be potential replacements to the knife, not an addition to the 1 hit kill weapon list. I mean it makes sense since the knife is quick and has a wide spread, isn’t hard to aim, and the harpoon is a teensie but broken.

I kind of disagree with this thread, since I think it will be a good move to replace the knife. It will make our server stand out in my opinion. It will allow new players to explore deeper into our server like “what is this, Ive never seen this before” and then try it.

Idk maybe this is a biased view because I like to explore and create new ways in killing players with T-Weapons.

The point of the knife is to allow bad players to get at least one kill for the cost of one credit. The dance gun is a meme weapon; it's essentially an AWP but with only one shot. I like it, but the only time I'm going to use it is when it's either the last innocent or when I'm targeting Hani. The Spartan Kick is similar to the knife, but it is very hard to use effectively; it has infinite ammo, but good luck connecting the kick with someone like Hani or MiniMe who are either halfway in the ceiling or b-hopping at mach 1. If you remove the knife, you remove the only guaranteed one-hit kill weapon in the T-store. The dance gun requires, relatively, good aim, and the Spartan Kick requires excellent movement and aim to kill a moving target. Removing the knife makes guest traitors even less competitive than they already are, which is very anti-beginner, which could affect future growth of the server.
( ͡°_ʖ ͡°)

Honestly Knives are part of the core what makes TTT. If you take that out, you're really changing the experience of what makes TTT what it is. Yeah you can argue modifying the DMG to make it a 1hit when originally it's supposed to be more than that, but it's not really a great argument imo. I get the frustrations of good players getting targeted with a knife, and I can agree it can get quite annoying. I think we've been pointing too many fingers towards the knife, when the issue I see is the "Stop Following Rule."

I can't say enough that I think this is the issue, and it's not only with Knives. Shotguns too, harpoons, anything that can instant kill the player by giving little or no reaction time at all is incredibly frustrating and annoying. Not to mention players are going to have to sit out and wait for like 10+ minutes till the round ends (please fix this soon.)

I really think there are a few solutions here:
  • Fix the god damn round times. This would solve most of the issue of being targeted with the knife, rounds do not need to last beyond 6-7 minutes. Time extension per kill needs to be cut so people don't need to get impatient waiting.
  • Readjust / Enforce the "Stop Following Rule" to be valid at any time with 3 warnings (5 seconds apart per warning)
Though this doesn't entirely stop the targeting issue, it imo provides a better solution than removing the Knife. I don't see why you need to remove it when Shotguns can still 1 tap, and Harpoons and AWPs are still a thing. Keep the Knife in the game, and fix the issues surrounding it instead of blaming the item itself.
If you have any questions regarding the server rules or anything else, send me a forum PM.
Resigned TTT & Deathrun Admin.
[Image: 1199184.png]
(02-04-2019, 12:58 PM)Christian Wrote:
  • Fix the god damn round times. This would solve most of the issue of being targeted with the knife, rounds do not need to last beyond 6-7 minutes. Time extension per kill needs to be cut so people don't need to get impatient waiting.

what
[Image: iOq71ag.jpg]
(02-04-2019, 03:02 PM)queef commando Wrote: what

Nobody wants to be targeted with a Knife, then have to sit out for potentially 10 minutes for a round to end. Rounds do not need to last that long.
If you have any questions regarding the server rules or anything else, send me a forum PM.
Resigned TTT & Deathrun Admin.
[Image: 1199184.png]