Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ttt_Dinkleberg Remake
Hi, I'm Budman. About 2 years ago I played on this server frequently, despite having a bit of a mixed experience (not going to get into that mess.)

At one point I attempted to make a map exclusively for the server based on the concept of Fairly Odd Parents, considering the fact that the server is called Dinkleberg's TTT. The map was awful. At that time I was quite bad at mapping, and every person who shit on the map for being bad was correct. I've gotten a lot better at mapping since then and thought I'd remake the map using all the skills I've learned.

Original Map: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=534277191

I'm not using the old map as a base. It's simply too much of a mess to try and build off of. The only things being carried over are the 2 houses. I plan on implementing more things from the show than my original map did. So far, I've created the Turner's house, though I have yet to implement smaller details. I've created the treehouse in the backyard, and though it looks somewhat crude, I'm happy with how it looks.

Here are some pictures of my current progress:

http://imgur.com/a/MBOyU

I hope to please people and do justice by my original idea that I had way back in 2015. I'll upload it to the workshop when I think it's ready to be played. If there is any interest, I will continue to update this thread.

Edit: The Dimsdale sign will also be returning
Edit 2: Provided I get this ban out of the way, I plan to promote the map for the server, but not allow the map exclusively on the server. I don't like locking people out but I am willing to give direct nods to the server provided I get access to play on the server once again.

Edit 3: Added the chimney to the Turner's house. It is enter-able by players, though I have yet to add access to the roof. Thinking it could make a decent traitor trap.
That map certainly use a rework
Dont look so blue
I highly suggest you use textures that reflect those from the show instead of generic HL2 textures. Beyond that, make sure you use a sun entity and HDR controller on this map (you didn't on the first one), and maybe do some magic with the skybox to make not quite look like it's closed off.
Funny, I had just downloaded ttt_Dinkleberg29 to see what it's like. I'm definitely interested in following your progress on the map and I have a few small suggestions:
  • Please don't make the skybox higher than it really needs to be. The grappling hook will definitely become an issue if that's the case. Dinkleberg29 was well over 3000 feet, so I'm thinking nothing more than like 500 feet off the tallest point.
  • The server tends to like maps that have a bit of a tunnel system to them. Some way to travel around without obviously being seen. One of the major flaws with Dinkleberg12 (yes we're still using that one) was that it was all on the same level and there was nowhere to really sneak about.
  • The server also likes maps that have secrets or easter eggs on them. Secret knife on Community Bowling, Community Pool, and 67thWay are great examples of this.
  • If there's going to be a T room, please for the love of God don't make it too big. Community Bowling had the perfect sized rooms.
  • It doesn't have to be spread out horizontally. Dinkleberg12 and 29 were all on one plane. Community Pool, 67thWay, and Dolls all had multiple planes to be on.
I hope you do keep us updated on the progress! And you should hop on some time, most of the problem children from that era have probably left or been banned by now.
(02-23-2017, 06:49 PM)Mr_Rippe Wrote: Funny, I had just downloaded ttt_Dinkleberg29 to see what it's like. I'm definitely interested in following your progress on the map and I have a few small suggestions:
  • Please don't make the skybox higher than it really needs to be. The grappling hook will definitely become an issue if that's the case. Dinkleberg29 was well over 3000 feet, so I'm thinking nothing more than like 500 feet off the tallest point.
  • The server tends to like maps that have a bit of a tunnel system to them. Some way to travel around without obviously being seen. One of the major flaws with Dinkleberg12 (yes we're still using that one) was that it was all on the same level and there was nowhere to really sneak about.
  • The server also likes maps that have secrets or easter eggs on them. Secret knife on Community Bowling, Community Pool, and 67thWay are great examples of this.
  • If there's going to be a T room, please for the love of God don't make it too big. Community Bowling had the perfect sized rooms.
  • It doesn't have to be spread out horizontally. Dinkleberg12 and 29 were all on one plane. Community Pool, 67thWay, and Dolls all had multiple planes to be on.
I hope you do keep us updated on the progress! And you should hop on some time, most of the problem children from that era have probably left or been banned by now.

Wow, I had forgotten how horrid the original map was, and thank you for the tips!
Can you also make it so it does'nt have cs textures and are you do one that made the dink map lol
[Image: original.gif]
This looks awesome keep up good work. I dont have much to saw about the map itself besides ^^ Rippe and Rhapsody
It is not okay to literally tell people their opinions are wrong because they disagree.
(02-23-2017, 07:04 PM)StaleWater Wrote: Can you also make it so it does'nt have cs textures and are you do one that made the dink map lol

Yeah, I made that absolute mess of a map.
Mapper
Great to hear you're getting back to an idea you had before! We all appreciate your work in building a new version of your old map!
[Image: b_560x95.png]
I would love to see this map overhauled/revamped and put back on the server. It would be a nice unique map for only our server to have.
Moderator on TTT

Ahhh Ref...

That was clean