Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Admins Editing People's Messages
Hello, last night I send a message in the shout box with the text of “TRIGGERED” referring to center aligned posts. I later discovered that an Admin had edited the text of that message to say “im gay”. While in this case the effect was minimal, this is extremely concerning to me. Admins have the ability to edit anyone’s message to say whatever they would like. Without any sign the message has been edited. The edit done by an admin is not displayed anywhere, it is not logged, or is it shown to the users of this forum. There is no reason for an admin to edit a message of a user, if a message breaks the rules of a shout box, the infringing message(s) should be deleted.

While the edit to my message doesn’t cause any damage; Titan saw that edited, and thought it was something I wrote and responded as if it was the truth. This shows that people do believe in edited messages, because they have no reason to believe they are not true. I do not know who edited my message, but I ask that person to come forward and tell me what rule I violated that resulted in my message being edited.

This is not the first case in recent history of messages being edited. For example, Scoovie edited messages from Nopleez, to the text shown in the image. While this also caused no damage, it did feed the troll, which an Admin of all people should not be doing.

Admins should not to be able to edit messages without it being logged and showed publicly to the members of this community. This could only be used for malicious and fraudulent reasons. There is a good reason no messaging app allows users to edit other messages.
in the last part did you mean Admin shouldn't be able to edit w/o it being logged?
[Image: J6yUs0g]
(05-14-2019, 10:30 PM)? NoToast ? Wrote: in the last part did you mean Admin shouldn't be able to edit w/o it being logged?

Yes, thanks for pointing that out. I fixed my post.
This deserves a swift demotion (test test)
It makes sense, it all was an inside job to ban nopleez.
Note that Admins can also do this with regular forum posts, but it is logged as a normal edit.
okay cause i just tested it on normal post it logs it there so its just the shout box?
(05-14-2019, 10:47 PM)Dakota Wrote: okay cause i just tested it on normal post it logs it there so its just the shout box?

Correct.
(05-14-2019, 10:47 PM)Dakota Wrote: okay cause i just tested it on normal post it logs it there so its just the shout box?

Correct, I went through the code for the shout box and it does not have any form of logging. Adding logging would require addition of code and a database schema change. Removing the edit feature would require commenting out a few lines.
(05-14-2019, 10:57 PM)Dakota Wrote: Im looking in the admin account for the forums and doesn't seem to be a way for it to log changes in the shoutbox,

You shouldn't be able to edit shoutbox messages anyway.