Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issues with jump pack and hitboxes
There is in an issue where the jump pack allows people to jump into the ceilings on certain maps, hiding half their model and a good amount, if not most, of their hitbox.  It makes the target jumping into the roof nearly impossible to hit while for the duration of their time in the ceiling.  This is an issue that I have noticed since I first joined a month ago, but only recently has it become prevalent on most maps that have low ceilings.  I believe that most people know what I am talking about, but for those that don't: when jumping and crouching with the jump pack, you are able to get your model/hitbox to go partially or in some cases mostly into the ceiling if the ceiling is low/normal height.  From what I have gathered it seems like most of the people who frequently play on the server realize this is an issue, but it's come down to the point where if you don't do this you could be at a serious disadvantage in fights.  I also can't think of anyone who would oppose this being changed.  That being said, I'm no technical expert so I don't really know what could be done to fix this.  The only things I could see as a solution would be to increase the gravity on the jump pack to lower the jump height, or as a last case scenario to remove the jump pack from the server, at least until it is fixed.

These are some screenshots from Vannah, a map where the low ceilings make this exceptionally bad/aggravating:

As can be seen at certain points half or more of the model/hitbox is protected inside the ceiling
[Image: 20190815194039-1.jpg]
This post is already pretty long so I'll just add the link to the other photo: https://i.ibb.co/4grrgcn/20190815194017-1.jpg

I'm fairly confident that others might have evidence, or if not they can definitely vouch for this happening.
Can confirm this happens a lot many glitches with hitboxes and jumppacks rn
killerZoreo added 69 autoslays to Cryptic Salsa (Causing a hacker to mass)

[gBan] Nicol Bolas has banned JustKuono - Duration: Indefinitely! (Mass RDM and harassing me for my height even though im 6,1)

Beepo has been autoslain by Raider Hanks 3 minutes ago with the reason: 'i call that one the pankcake strat. (RDM)'.

Mr.Potato added 1e+192 autoslays to Ckg (slay reason)

Mr.Potato kicked Themself (DO NOT LET DAEGAN'S BODY DISTRACT YOU FROM THE FACT HE IS A MINOR!!!)

Welcome to Dinklebergs TTT

Matt_St3 / Strongrule / Spartan001295
Forum Admin - Resigned TTT Admin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[00:04] matt_st3 (Strongrule) [traitor] has damaged Taliban Tom [detective] for 4.9999999349555e+14 HP with an unknown weapon
They won't do anything about it, it makes the server noob friendly.
Kudos to you for thinking that the upper staff cares about this. This has been a problem since I joined the community a year ago, and before that. If someone in power really cared, something would've been done by now.
Remove the jetpack or I'll ban dinkleberg
We're just a giant ass
Cheeks are made of children
Old was just a fad
Shit on all the billions
I thought you guys had this convo when the grapple hook exploit was causing issues? I still think it'd be fine to remove the jp and just lower the gravity.
[Image: J6yUs0g]
(08-15-2019, 10:31 PM)happy Wrote: I thought you guys had this convo when the grapple hook exploit was causing issues? I still think it'd be fine to remove the jp and just lower the gravity.

Tbh, remove the JP but leave the gravity where it is.

As it stands currently, the jump pack allows players to exploit certain maps and survive falls that they otherwise wouldn't. (Which sort of makes the Iron Boots useless as a D or T, except on maps with long falls like crummycradle) With the grapple hook, the only reason you are able to glide through the air at mach 4 is because of the jump pack. Otherwise, unless you are a bhop god, you won't be able to maintain that speed.

tl;dr remove jump pack
I've looked all over the Valve developer wiki and Garry's Mod wiki for a possible solution, but I don't believe it's entirely possible with the engine Garry's Mod works with. If you were to match the players hull with the model compensated with the jetpack boost, there'd be a severe issue when trying to get over things, and I think even under. It would feel terrible for those even who don't crouch jump.

However, I've found a possible fix on GitHub, but this is one I personally don't know if I enjoy compared to other potential fixes. The basic idea is that after a crouch jump, once you hit the ground, you're locked to the ground for a few seconds to prevent jump spamming. You can probably see the issue with this. 

This is the GitHub lua code for it: GitHub

A few other options:

1) Lower the upward velocity given of the jumppack and alternate for more of a "safe-fall" option which would be encouraged as a simple hover rather than upward boost.

2) Crouch jumping makes your weapon extremely inaccurate- the worst option would be to 'jam' your weapon from firing when hovered. 

3) You can no longer crouch jump for x seconds after shooting your weapon. 
          - You can crouch, but not jump and vice versa.

4) A function that prevents crouch jump spam by locking the player for a selected number of seconds after consecutive jumps.
          - After x jumps you're prevented from jumping for x seconds.

5) Get rid of the jumppack.

I think two and three are the best options, but then you'd have to code it into every single weapon in TTT.

After digging through the FacePunch archives, I've also found this GitHub. It's another player mode code to prevent jump + crouch spamming.
Out of curiosity is this still one of the few servers that offer a jumppack (or similar)? Because I know for a long time thats something that drew people here because they liked the boost and reduced fall damage.

Im not disagreeing with the issues it has, but more so looking at the other side of things and wondering the alternatives.
Noot Noot ~(^-^)~