Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Harpoon
(12-19-2019, 12:39 PM)MAKEOUTHILL Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 12:10 PM)MilkManFromMars Wrote: I think it’s fine imo. It helps counter people doing things like door spamming or hiding in unreachable places. Of course there’s always the alternative of the C4, but that takes a timer and beeps to alert the victim. I say don’t give the camper the out, the harpoon through the wall is fine.

So instead of letting people utilize a legitimate, though unliked playstyle, we take advantage of the harpoon's bad coding and get a ridiculous kill?

IMO the Ts have enough tools at their disposal without the harpoon to kill/wound/send into panic the innocents.

Well it’s not like it’s just instant kill like a knife. The harpoon still requires some skill and cunning. I’ll admit there’s lots of opportunities for cheap and stupid kills, like through t room glass, but to weed out most situations with it it would require knowing where they’re at, which isn’t always an easy thing to do, and hitting a target that knows it’s being hunted is usually a task in itself. It’s arguable that it’s a disliked yet valid strategy to use the harpoon through walls. I know it’s no an intentional mechanic, but it could be argued by the same principal. 
As far as T weapons in a general speak go I think some of the things that should be focused on are things that don’t require half what the harpoon does, like the knife.
[Image: Sy6406Z.png]
(12-19-2019, 01:58 PM)MilkManFromMars Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 12:39 PM)MAKEOUTHILL Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 12:10 PM)MilkManFromMars Wrote: I think it’s fine imo. It helps counter people doing things like door spamming or hiding in unreachable places. Of course there’s always the alternative of the C4, but that takes a timer and beeps to alert the victim. I say don’t give the camper the out, the harpoon through the wall is fine.

So instead of letting people utilize a legitimate, though unliked playstyle, we take advantage of the harpoon's bad coding and get a ridiculous kill?

IMO the Ts have enough tools at their disposal without the harpoon to kill/wound/send into panic the innocents.

Well it’s not like it’s just instant kill like a knife. The harpoon still requires some skill and cunning. I’ll admit there’s lots of opportunities for cheap and stupid kills, like through t room glass, but to weed out most situations with it it would require knowing where they’re at, which isn’t always an easy thing to do, and hitting a target that knows it’s being hunted is usually a task in itself. It’s arguable that it’s a disliked yet valid strategy to use the harpoon through walls. I know it’s no an intentional mechanic, but it could be argued by the same principal. 
As far as T weapons in a general speak go I think some of the things that should be focused on are things that don’t require half what the harpoon does, like the knife.

I'd argue that it's a disliked and invalid strategy, seeing as the mechanic of throwing the harpoon through the wall is not intentional, and abusing it for cheap kills is therefore an exploit.

I'm not saying remove the harpoon, I think it's a good weapon. What I don't think is good is the harpoon being able to come through walls like the Kool-Aid Man.
Only time I've ever used a harpoon was when someone was spamming e on a door to keep it closed, and I extremely dislike the fact I even had to stoop that low.
Can we stop trying to fix the game and just let it turn itself into a shithole?

But really,

Personally, I'm against this because I actually like the function. And I've always hated the idea of something becoming an exploit just because "it's not being as intended" in my terms. I believe that as long as it's something that gives a huge disadvantage or breaking the game should be an exploit such as unreachable areas and whatnot. The harpoon is something that isnt really game breaking or unfair whatsoever. And besides, it's literally a high speed throwing knife with a reasonable distance that hits only 1 person. Let the damn thing stay as it is. We dont need to duct tape everything in the server
[Image: h4r1WLO.gif]
Project Moon Games
Retired TTT Moderator
03-07-2020 ~ 11-17-2020
Unofficial Retired Murder Test-Moderator
11-06-2019 ~ 11-17-2020
I like the harpoon but it going through walls is a mixed bag. I feel like if fixable, it should be fixed, but if it cant be don't remove the harpoon.
What if instead, people played around the harpoon going through stuff instead, like let's view it as a viable way to get kills. I think it's really helpful in niche situations, so much so that I think we should respect that it does what it does. However, it is a niche weapon pick for me. Not something that I use every round, nor every map.
(12-19-2019, 12:54 AM)Nicol Bolas Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 12:52 AM)Noire ♜ Wrote: lol I don't think one can fix that harpoon, it's how it clips thru everything when you hold it out.

Personally, I like the harpoon. It has play around it rather than being well, the knife. Besides, if a T gets killed with a harpoon it's usually their fault or their teammate's fault.
This is just about labeling throwing it through a wall as an exploit, not removing it.
I would say its still fine because of the fact that you have detectives that hide in D rooms till the time runs out.
I think it's balanced as is. If you miss, you can get wall harpooned back
[Image: frieren-fall-winter.jpeg]
(12-19-2019, 04:36 PM)Brown Sugar Cinnamon Poptart Wrote: Can we stop trying to fix the game and just let it turn itself into a shithole?

But really,

Personally, I'm against this because I actually like the function. And I've always hated the idea of something becoming an exploit just because "it's not being as intended" in my terms. I believe that as long as it's something that gives a huge disadvantage or breaking the game should be an exploit such as unreachable areas and whatnot. The harpoon is something that isnt really game breaking or unfair whatsoever. And besides, it's literally a high speed throwing knife with a reasonable distance that hits only 1 person. Let the damn thing stay as it is. We dont need to duct tape everything in the server

I second the hell out of this. No, it's not intended and it's probably annoying to get a poon in your ass through a brick wall, but the level of coordination that takes on the side of the attacker to actually exploit it like that is probably going to be higher than just left clicking down a hallway, and the satisfaction of pulling something that stupid off successfully gives a critical rush of excitement to the attacker that keeps them playing and keeps them innovating cooler and more entertaining ways to play the game.

It's easy to get into a stride with a gamemode as sophisticated as TTT and start treating it as a fully fledged game. Garry's Mod isn't an ordinary FPS like CS:S or CS:GO; it's stupid, it's broken, it's unoptimized, and it's meant to be played to have fun. People don't play this game because it's a good game, people play it because it has hundreds of quirks and charms in the form of glitches like these that adds an extra layer of gameplay to an otherwise really shit game. Looking at a weird and buggy T weapon or turning into a prop with properties you've never seen before keeps people like me coming back and thinking "What can I do with this?"

Now that's not to say you shouldn't fix broken things, getting fucked by a Locomotive shotgun in one shot and getting stuck outside of the map with no way to play the game isn't a fun experience. But when you remove every single little quirk in a game that's played because it's quirky and stupid, what do you have left? A washed up first person shooter with a pointshop.
(12-19-2019, 08:08 PM)RussEfarmer Wrote:
(12-19-2019, 04:36 PM)Brown Sugar Cinnamon Poptart Wrote: Can we stop trying to fix the game and just let it turn itself into a shithole?

But really,

I second the hell out of this. No, it's not intended and it's probably annoying to get a poon in your ass through a brick wall, but the level of coordination that takes on the side of the attacker to actually exploit it like that is probably going to be higher than just left clicking down a hallway, and the satisfaction of pulling something that stupid off successfully gives a critical rush of excitement to the attacker that keeps them playing and keeps them innovating cooler and more entertaining ways to play the game.

It's easy to get into a stride with a gamemode as sophisticated as TTT and start treating it as a fully fledged game. Garry's Mod isn't an ordinary FPS like CS:S or CS:GO; it's stupid, it's broken, it's unoptimized, and it's meant to be played to have fun. People don't play this game because it's a good game, people play it because it has hundreds of quirks and charms in the form of glitches like these that adds an extra layer of gameplay to an otherwise really shit game. Looking at a weird and buggy T weapon or turning into a prop with properties you've never seen before keeps people like me coming back and thinking "What can I do with this?"

Now that's not to say you shouldn't fix broken things, getting fucked by a Locomotive shotgun in one shot and getting stuck outside of the map with no way to play the game isn't a fun experience. But when you remove every single little quirk in a game that's played because it's quirky and stupid, what do you have left? A washed up first person shooter with a pointshop.

Yes, excellent point. I think it's also more fun to keep it and not treat it as something wrong. You can only polish a turd so much
[Image: frieren-fall-winter.jpeg]