Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ttt_shadowmoses: Work in progress map
Hello forumgoers, I'm here today to show off my shiny new amatuerish as hell map
It's technically been in the works since mid-2016, but I've only made real progress in the last 30 days or so.

It currently features the Docks and Heliport section of the game, but I feel it's bit cramped so I might expand to more sections once I get what I already have in a presentable state.
Some other unique things include my patent-pending Credit Generator, where, so long as two T's are alive and you have two bodies, you can get free credits.
I also have found a way to make T weps placeable in-editor, so it has a silenced pistol that spawns in the same place as it does in the gamecube remake.

The layout is technically more based on the original, but just because Dolphin's exploration tools and texture dupmper are so helpful, its slowly becoming more of the gamecube remake than the psx version.

All non-standard models were made by me, completely made from scratch using only Dolphin as a reference.
The blizzard particle effects are actually a port from SFM.

I could also use some suggestions for T traps, all I can think of is generic "make things explode" type stuff.

[Image: wXT38jo.gif]
It looks very nice, despite me not knowing what the heck this is based on. I really do like the snow, certainly better than func_precipitate by a large margin. I do think the credit machine could be a bit op, since Ts already get awarded points for killing innocents. You're basically multiplying their reward for doing something they already are supposed to do. Maybe if you made it outside a T-only area, it would give innos a chance to contest T progress, really only letting them use it late-game, therefore rewarding them for making it to the end.
Steam Workshop Items:
(Click name to visit on steam)
-ttt_spacepost | -ttt_limbo

Useful Information:
(Click name to view)
 [Recording Demos] - [TTT Rules] - [Idiot Test]

Nice, I love it
          [Image: b_560x95.png]

[Image: 76561198309335191.png]
(04-14-2017, 07:30 AM)ReThink Wrote: It looks very nice, despite me not knowing what the heck this is based on. I really do like the snow, certainly better than func_precipitate by a large margin. I do think the credit machine could be a bit op, since Ts already get awarded points for killing innocents. You're basically multiplying their reward for doing something they already are supposed to do. Maybe if you made it outside a T-only area, it would give innos a chance to contest T progress, really only letting them use it late-game, therefore rewarding them for making it to the end.

thanks for the feedback

i just realised i only mention the actual game in the video and not in the post, but it's based on the beginning portion of Metal Gear Solid
Yes, I hated the slow and sparse snow too, i even did the janky workaround of stacking a bunch of func_precipitations on top of eachother, till I learned how to use particle manifests
when i ported over the snow from sfm i was concerned it might kill fps, but as luck would have it source deals with particle caps well enough

The idea around having the generator is that having such a small map with only one path inbetween them (not counting T tele) is that t's may NEED a bit of an unusual boost, but considering ive never played this map with more than two real players, it might be a non-issue and I've tried to fix a problem that doesn't exist. If I'm being honest, a lot of it was me just experimenting with logic and branches and stuff, i basically used the bread machine on crummy cradle as a reference and worked of it to make a cohesive and (mostly) bugfree machine. all in all, was just an elaborate learning experience
(04-14-2017, 07:38 AM)reed1103 Wrote: Nice, I love it
thanks dad
(04-14-2017, 08:17 AM)The Ol Wrote:
(04-14-2017, 07:30 AM)ReThink Wrote: It looks very nice, despite me not knowing what the heck this is based on. I really do like the snow, certainly better than func_precipitate by a large margin. I do think the credit machine could be a bit op, since Ts already get awarded points for killing innocents. You're basically multiplying their reward for doing something they already are supposed to do. Maybe if you made it outside a T-only area, it would give innos a chance to contest T progress, really only letting them use it late-game, therefore rewarding them for making it to the end.

thanks for the feedback

i just realised i only mention the actual game in the video and not in the post, but it's based on the beginning portion of Metal Gear Solid
Yes, I hated the slow and sparse snow too, i even did the janky workaround of stacking a bunch of func_precipitations on top of eachother, till I learned how to use particle manifests
when i ported over the snow from sfm i was concerned it might kill fps, but as luck would have it source deals with particle caps well enough

The idea around having the generator is that having such a small map with only one path inbetween them (not counting T tele) is that t's may NEED a bit of an unusual boost, but considering ive never played this map with more than two real players, it might be a non-issue and I've tried to fix a problem that doesn't exist. If I'm being honest, a lot of it was me just experimenting with logic and branches and stuff, i basically used the bread machine on crummy cradle as a reference and worked of it to make a cohesive and (mostly) bugfree machine. all in all, was just an elaborate learning experience
(04-14-2017, 07:38 AM)reed1103 Wrote: Nice, I love it
thanks dad

Well if you ever want to test it, send me a message. I am a sucker for snowy maps since avalanche from Halo :,) .

Also, how do you detect dead bodies? I've tried doing body detection on maps before, but I can't find what trigger to use.

I also just had an idea! Maybe make it so one of the bodies must be a T body? That way it limits the credit output and helps T's deal with dwindling numbers, if they would rather have credits than defib.
Steam Workshop Items:

Useful Information:
(Click name to view)

So just a heads-up: particle effects don't play that well on the server for a reason we don't fully understand yet. There have been a few decent maps we've had to remove just because of some visual that turned the entire server into a clipshow. Hopefully this will be fixed in the future (when Dink does a clean reinstall), but you may want to remove it for the time being.
(04-14-2017, 09:11 AM)Mr_Rippe Wrote: So just a heads-up: particle effects don't play that well on the server for a reason we don't fully understand yet. There have been a few decent maps we've had to remove just because of some visual that turned the entire server into a clipshow. Hopefully this will be fixed in the future (when Dink does a clean reinstall), but you may want to remove it for the time being.

Wow I was expecting a shitty quote from yourself, but instead you give valuable feedback? Way to exceed my expectations!
Cool map, btw.
(04-14-2017, 08:51 AM)ReThink Wrote: Well if you ever want to test it, send me a message. I am a sucker for snowy maps since avalanche from Halo :,) .

Also, how do you detect dead bodies? I've tried doing body detection on maps before, but I can't find what trigger to use.

I also just had an idea! Maybe make it so one of the bodies must be a T body? That way it limits the credit output and helps T's deal with dwindling numbers, if they would rather have credits than defib.

You use a trigger linked up to a filter_activator_class set to "prop_ragdoll"
This detects whether or not a ragdoll (aka corpses, but im assuming props with bones like mattresses might also trigger it) and then you can do just about any output that source is capable of. for this, i have it set a logic_branch to 1, close the hatch, and destroy the ragdoll (on a delay)
when both sides of the rooms have their logic_branch's set to 1, a logic_branch_listener activates both buttons so they can be pressed.
theres also a routine where if one is pressed and not the other it resets itself, but thats unrelated to the corpse, as its long gone by this point

As far as i'm aware, there is no entity that the creator of ttt added to understand the data of a corpse, so there's no way to explicitly tell a filter to look out for a T body. there is filter_activator_team, but even if it does work for ttt, i doubt it can read corpses either.

(04-14-2017, 09:11 AM)Mr_Rippe Wrote: So just a heads-up: particle effects don't play that well on the server for a reason we don't fully understand yet. There have been a few decent maps we've had to remove just because of some visual that turned the entire server into a clipshow. Hopefully this will be fixed in the future (when Dink does a clean reinstall), but you may want to remove it for the time being.

oh dear. well, whenever the new map cycle comes around, ill try and remember to include a version without th blizzard so if it breaks on my map, you can test on that one instead.
Thanks for the info, definitely going to have some fun with that!

Maybe try naming the player, and have it filter via name? It would definitely be complicated, maybe too much. Or you could parent an invisible brush to the traitors, and have it detect that?
Steam Workshop Items:

Useful Information:
(Click name to view)

Awesome dude. I recall playing a TF2 Port long ago playing the VSH mod, this looks really cool with the features of T-Traps. Nicely done!
If you have any questions regarding the server rules or anything else, send me a forum PM.
Resigned TTT & Deathrun Admin.
[Image: 1199184.png]