Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updated Staff Descriptions
Something that I've analyzed recently within the past couple of days is a lot of "cross pollination" interaction between members of staff. 

Example: In PH Lobby, Hunter is hacking. Test Mod is on the server, Test mod catches hacker. Bans hacker. 

Now! Barring this thread which says that banning becomes available at Admin Level. This is an activity that I've seen demonstrated by T-mods, and Mods alike. I am not aware of the inter-communicative parts of the staff. So I do not expect to know this. But that creates an interesting outward appearance for someone who is viewing the actions from the outside in. An easy question that could arrive in the previous scenario is 
Was the T-Mod Abusing Command powers? OR Was he authorized to do this by someone above him?

At the end of the day. There is no solid answer for that question. But expanding upon that, I feel as though an overview of what's expected of you  for individuals with a desire to either join ranks or rise ranks would be greatly beneficial in establishing a baseline of expectation for the work that you will do. 

For those who are currently inquiring about staffing. They are immediately Brough to this section of the forums where this is the thing they should read before applying.  The only issue with this is what I have previously mentioned. In the pinned message to direct potential new applicants you do not detail what the applicants will be doing if they are onboarded. There is a section about what qualifies somebody as a member. But qualifications and expectations are two separate parts of the whole that is a new hire to a position. 
Qualifications for a position means nothing if the proper Expecations are not communicated

This is not  solely an issue of presenting information in the lack-there-of. But it is in the clarification of information that exist on the forums. 

For Example: 
In Chell's Application for Admin they tidbits of information in an attempt to present what they would bring to the table as staff at that level 
"going through hammer editor tutorials so that I can fix issues with new maps."
"addition of week/monthly challenges, monthly/quarterly crates, community events"

In Ryzif's Application For Admin in discussing what they could bring to the community is this:
"I have involvement with the TTT server as well as our Discord and believe that I have an ideal relationship with our neighboring servers"

While yes I understand that these statements that statements might not have been the deciding factor in onboarding these individuals to their position. There is something to be said about the vast disparity in Qualification-presenting statements in their staff applications. Especially when the requirements for being an admin are something that is hidden from the public eye alongside their activities.

At the level im at right now (A normie) the extent to which I've seen the admins publicly work has been in forum ban request, and Staff apps. I know that this is not the fullness of what they do. But it's what im exposed too. So that's all I have reference for without second hand information. 

I do not see how privatizing the admin position qualifications serves to benefit anyone. In any other scenario. Job qualifications at all levels are vital tools for gauging the minimum of what you'd need to be hired. 

Going back into the expectations portions. Theres a benefit having job expectations available at a glance. It allows the applicant to know what they're getting in to.

I'm not ignorant enough to say that there probably aren't going to be moments where individuals might have to do something above and beyond their job description. This happens all the time. But if it's not something that is prefaced as an exception. Then people will take that as the norm

*Slight Anecdote 
It should be noted also, as of right now. The prominent threads for finding staff/qualifications does not list staff as being able to kick. This might sound  incredibly granular. However, at T-Mod Status we do get the introduction of associated commands with the roles. I know Trusted Can Kick only because I've seen a trusted use that command 

However if I happened to be in lobby where T-Mods/Mods were there to handle the issue.  I would have no idea that Trusted could kick.

Donors Currently have more of a written down understanding of how the role works than the entry level staff position. A role that can bought by anyone and then used for any purpose. 

The end result doing this: 

Clarification of information helps to alleviate situations in which individuals might not know what to expect from a position. 

whether entering for the first time, or moving up. It creates a framework that can be Further explained one on one. It allows new people who catch a heart for the culture of dinks to quickly find what it takes to make this place run, which will then propel your people who are interested to act in a manner accordingly so that by the time they reach the qualification status. The only thing they need is the title

TL;DR. A summary of the expectations (job description) of what you will be doing in that role across all ranks. Including but not limited to: Commands, Communicative aspects, administrative aspects, ect... and potentially minimum Qualificaiton expectations for Admin.

Okay im tired im gonna go to bed.
Trusted can gag, mute, kick.
T-mod can day ban.
Mod can permanently ban, do ban requests,ID ban, can go outside the normal giddiness & have a say in decision-making, dish out strikes, look after & managers lower staff.
Admin everything but change server files 
Dink it's his stuff he can do what he wants.

This is the basic way to put it, to be honest different staff members take on different roles in the community & the ranks have more to do with what commands you can do with the exception that the Admins are the community leaders. Other then that all staff equal grounds.

This all so has answers to your questions.

https://www.dinklebergsgmod.com/site/sho...p?tid=9611
[Image: i43gHnI.png]
If they have access to the command that means they are authorized to use it
[Image: gBkzZod.png]
i've only been an admin for 6 months, but i can tell you from what i've seen and experienced that admin qualifications are more about filling in what's missing from the team than about an individual meeting a set list of criteria.
(06-13-2023, 04:04 AM)Super Milk Chan Wrote: Trusted can gag, mute, kick.
T-mod can day ban.
Mod can permanently ban, do ban requests,ID ban, can go outside the normal giddiness & have a say in decision-making, dish out strikes, look after & managers lower staff.
Admin everything but change server files 
Dink it's his stuff he can do what he wants.

This is the basic way to put it, to be honest different staff members take on different roles in the community & the ranks have more to do with what commands you can do with the exception that the Admins are the community leaders. Other then that all staff equal grounds.

This all so has answers to your questions.

https://www.dinklebergsgmod.com/site/sho...p?tid=9611
Thank you for the information. I would like to clarify however that though clarity here is important. It should also be in the Threads where you would look to find that.

The main issue is that that information is not readily available In the places that matter

to be honest different staff members take on different roles in the community” 
While yes that might be true. It is finite. The diversity to which somewhere can serve as staff on dinks does not mean the information should be hidden as to what they will be getting into because of its vast nature 

If anything. That should be all the more reason as to why in an application sense. There is clarity as to what staff actually does at a baseline level. Or perhaps more appropriate, the lengths they are able to go to beyond simply moderating the game

*The thread to the staff guidelines 
Perhaps this is a nitpick. However. I feel as though despite the incredibly well written out step by step of how to handle numerous situations. The opening sentence of that post at a glance devalues the thread. Almost as if you were writing a paper and said 
“by the time I submit this to you there might be information that invalidates my points” 

Again this might be incredibly granular. But it does do a bit to diminish the overall effectiveness when in reality idk if that needs to be said. 

If that post started from the second sentence it has. I believe it’d be a solid document through and through

(06-13-2023, 07:21 AM)reina Wrote: i've only been an admin for 6 months, but i can tell you from what i've seen and experienced that admin qualifications are more about filling in what's missing from the team than about an individual meeting a set list of criteria.
“admin qualifications are more about filling in what's missing from the team”

My question would be. Is the the capacity to which an admin “fills in what’s missing” completely diverse each time as each team is different? Or, is it a handful of different things that different admins will cycle into as time goes on. 

This also doesn’t take into account the aforementioned that visibly on the surface admins roles are only slightly extended than their mod friends. I believe that there is a lot of unsung work that is normal for admins but simply is not highlighted.

Essentially what I’m saying is. Though that could definitely be true. I find it hard to believe the extent for Admin duties is something so wide of scope that the historical, documented contributions of past admins could not be something analyzed to create an overview of what to expect from this position. 

Again the heart is not to create an exhaustive list. It is to create a baseline for understanding fundamentally how these roles differ. And what to expect.
(06-13-2023, 02:35 AM)AceWing Wrote: -snip-

Was the T-Mod Abusing Command powers? OR Was he authorized to do this by someone above him?

If the command is available to a staff member, then they are authorized to use it given the situation and the applicable guideline.  Therefore, T-Mod's can ban hackers for a day while they make a ban request for a Mod/Admin to complete.  It wouldn't make any sense for a rank to be given a power they aren't allowed to use because all that's left is temptation.

-snip-

For those who are currently inquiring about staffing. They are immediately Brough to this section of the forums where this is the thing they should read before applying.  The only issue with this is what I have previously mentioned. In the pinned message to direct potential new applicants you do not detail what the applicants will be doing if they are onboarded. There is a section about what qualifies somebody as a member. But qualifications and expectations are two separate parts of the whole that is a new hire to a position. 
Qualifications for a position means nothing if the proper Expecations are not communicated

While we could write out everything that a staff member might have to do on the server, it's much easier to point someone to the staff guidelines and say "These are the rules to enforce".
The majority of people that apply for Trusted have interacted with staff and seen them in action on the server, so I hope that they get a decent idea of what to expect from watching current staff.  Ultimately, the staffing experience for each person might be different depending upon time zone or random luck.

While yes I understand that these statements that statements might not have been the deciding factor in onboarding these individuals to their position. There is something to be said about the vast disparity in Qualification-presenting statements in their staff applications. Especially when the requirements for being an admin are something that is hidden from the public eye alongside their activities.

At the level im at right now (A normie) the extent to which I've seen the admins publicly work has been in forum ban request, and Staff apps. I know that this is not the fullness of what they do. But it's what im exposed too. So that's all I have reference for without second hand information. 

I do not see how privatizing the admin position qualifications serves to benefit anyone. In any other scenario. Job qualifications at all levels are vital tools for gauging the minimum of what you'd need to be hired. 

Admin requirements are obscured because they aren't exactly known.  They depend upon what a community needs at a given time.  For example, PH is a huge community.  Dink settled on 3 admins because that's what PH needed at the time.  Ultimately, the admin rank is only given out to those that Dink trusts to run one of his servers.  There is a bunch of stuff admins do behind the scenes that we don't talk about because we don't want to talk about it.  The best admin PH ever had, TheUltraFish, literally has PTSD from what he was exposed to (and protected the server from).  Ryzif has graciously sacrificed his brain cells by being the PH admin connected other gmod communities that share information about players so heinous that we ban them before they ever join our server.  Admins have to force themselves to step back from their own communities a bit so that they can be impartial when making decisions about staffing, abuse threads, or larger community issues.

-snip-

*Slight Anecdote 
It should be noted also, as of right now. The prominent threads for finding staff/qualifications does not list staff as being able to kick. This might sound  incredibly granular. However, at T-Mod Status we do get the introduction of associated commands with the roles. I know Trusted Can Kick only because I've seen a trusted use that command 

However if I happened to be in lobby where T-Mods/Mods were there to handle the issue.  I would have no idea that Trusted could kick.

All of this is covered in staff training.  Staff are continually talking to each other on the server through the admin chat.  When working with new staff, we encourage the most senior ranking staff member on the server to coordinate who is doing what.  As an example, if there are ghosters on, the T-Mod might watch the ghosters while asking the Trusted to handle the VC and chat.  OR, they could each watch a ghoster and both handle the VC/chat.  It depends on what's happening on the server.  When I'm on the server with other staff members, I tend to take a back seat roll letting them take charge of situations unless something really needs a firm hand. Again though, if they have access to a command, then they can use it according to the guidelines (or as a joke if all parties involved know it's a joke and no harm comes from the command usage).

-snip-

(06-13-2023, 07:30 AM)AceWing Wrote:
(06-13-2023, 04:04 AM)Super Milk Chan Wrote: -snip-
-snip-

If anything. That should be all the more reason as to why in an application sense. There is clarity as to what staff actually does at a baseline level. Or perhaps more appropriate, the lengths they are able to go to beyond simply moderating the game

The baseline is enforce the guidelines, keep the server safe and fun to play on, and forward issues up the chain of command as needed.  That's really it to be honest.

*The thread to the staff guidelines 
Perhaps this is a nitpick. However. I feel as though despite the incredibly well written out step by step of how to handle numerous situations. The opening sentence of that post at a glance devalues the thread. Almost as if you were writing a paper and said 
“by the time I submit this to you there might be information that invalidates my points” 

The guidelines change based on new situations we can't predict.  Some of the guidelines were literally made due to the actions of a single individual! The guidelines have been relatively stable for the last couple of years now though.

-snip-

(06-13-2023, 07:21 AM)reina Wrote: -snip-
“admin qualifications are more about filling in what's missing from the team”

My question would be. Is the the capacity to which an admin “fills in what’s missing” completely diverse each time as each team is different? Or, is it a handful of different things that different admins will cycle into as time goes on. 

This also doesn’t take into account the aforementioned that visibly on the surface admins roles are only slightly extended than their mod friends. I believe that there is a lot of unsung work that is normal for admins but simply is not highlighted.

Essentially what I’m saying is. Though that could definitely be true. I find it hard to believe the extent for Admin duties is something so wide of scope that the historical, documented contributions of past admins could not be something analyzed to create an overview of what to expect from this position. 

We don't make a lot of contributions that admins have made public because they are not something we really want to talk about.  For past PH admins, we could literally say "Thank you for protecting the community from people spamming CP on the server, in your DMs, in discord, etc."  Yes, that has happened and most likely will continue to happen as long as sick fucks exist in this world.  Admins field a lot of bullshit from trolls as well.  "Why can't I say n***** on the server reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" complaints happen a lot more often than you think.  We handle content updates (when Dink has time to put them on the server), update shop contents (I'm about to release about 40 new items I made in the points shop), deal with ban/unban requests, and deal with other community issues that we can't discuss in public.

-snip-

Thanks for your questions! Feel free to reach out on discord as well.
“While we could write out everything that a staff member might have to do on the server, it's much easier to point someone to the staff guidelines and say "These are the rules to enforce".

I agree with this. In following your understanding of the baseline simply as. “Enforce the guidelines” However though this might feel granular. Allowing for the applicant to be able to see at a glance. “Oh the mods help enforce the guidelines” and then “Oh here’s the numerous things they do” would be helpful. 

I guess as format what this would look like practically would be Read this before applying add A brief preamble of sorts welcoming all applicants and reiterating what the point of being a staff member entails. Going no further then, but within freedom to expound upon “Enforcing the rules” and then within that somewhere immediately directing them to what the Guidelines. 

It wouldn’t be exhaustive. And some might find it too much. But it creates a system of flow where information and getting to the information that could be asked becomes easier. 

“The guidelines change based on new situations we can't predict.  Some of the guidelines were literally made due to the actions of a single individual! The guidelines have been relatively stable for the last couple of years now though.”

Completely understand that. With this thought. Im simply referring to the self-depreciative opening sentance of the staff guidelines as something that can instantly think that the thread due to the initial thread being old being something that is outdated. While yes, it is very much something that is still being updated (as of may)  It feels silly to have a throwaway statement like that in a staff guideline. Again, The second sentence onwards is incredibly professional. And starting there would be much better.

“We don't make a lot of contributions that admins have made public because they are not something we really want to talk about.  For past PH admins, we could literally say "Thank you for protecting the community from people spamming CP on the server, in your DMs, in discord, etc."  Yes, that has happened and most likely will continue to happen as long as sick fucks exist in this world.  Admins field a lot of bullshit from trolls as well.  "Why can't I say n***** on the server reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" complaints happen a lot more often than you think.  We handle content updates (when Dink has time to put them on the server), update shop contents (I'm about to release about 40 new items I made in the points shop), deal with ban/unban requests, and deal with other community issues that we can't discuss in public.”

I understand that the specifics of Admins can deal with some horrible stuff (ty btw <3). Though I agree and understand why not all of it needs to be broadcasted. Could not a blanket statement of something like the following be possible?

Admins handle all of the aformentioned (referring to Mods-Trusted dealing with enforcing guidelines and such) while also dealing with would-be egregious offenders. In addition, they also handle content updates (pardon my lack of legalese)

Though this might not be the opinion of Admins I believe the handling of content within the server (maps, skins ect…) and the cross community collaboration (whether for moderation or simple relation purposes) is something that could be shown. It helps to show that above simple moderation. At the highest level there are individuals who are more than just enforcing guidelines, but also pushing the game and the community forward.

P.S: This is all out of love, and just generally seeing the answers of tossing out ideas. Thanks everyone thus far for taking the time to respond.